Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where can I get an accurate thermometer?  (Read 5713 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Where can I get an accurate thermometer?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 06:59:09 pm »
After hearing all of the excellent reviews about the Thermapen, I finally ordered one and highly recommend it if you can afford it. It comes calibrated with a certificate and it's traceable to a NIST standard. Well worth the money IMO. Super fast readings (3 seconds) and it's very water resistant. Very accurate to ±0.7°F. It gets wet all the time with no problem. You can get one for about $80.
Ron Price

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 03:43:05 pm »
At mash temperature my NIST certified glass thermometer reads 7 to 8 degrees F below two Ranco probes, two dial Blickman thermometers, one handheld dial thermometer, and one nice digital model. Just to confuse the matter, I checked it against a glass NIST calibrated (cheap) lab thermometer, and it is all over the place. I need to do the calibration thing as well.
Did the ASTM ice bath calibration on the "good certified" thermometer and it reads 35.5F. The cheap one reads almost right on. The good news is Cynmar is shipping a new "good certified" one. Since both of these are partial immersion, I made sure I used the immersion mark for the test.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 08:42:57 pm »
After hearing all of the excellent reviews about the Thermapen, I finally ordered one and highly recommend it if you can afford it. It comes calibrated with a certificate and it's traceable to a NIST standard. Well worth the money IMO. Super fast readings (3 seconds) and it's very water resistant. Very accurate to ±0.7°F. It gets wet all the time with no problem. You can get one for about $80.
I think I will get one one of these days.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 07:31:04 am »
I have one of these and I love it.

http://www.cooper-atkins.com/productspecsheet.asp?pid=9

A quick search found multiple sources. Looks like they're a bit more than a thermapen. Admittedly, I got mine as a gift from my last employer. Used it for 5+ years so far. Our club did a calibration demo. Mine was spot on at 32, 150 and 212.
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 09:10:59 am »
I paid $95 for mine after shipping/tax.  I think it will be a very worthy investment after using a dial thermometer up to this point.
Jesse

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 09:18:22 am »
It looks just like this one. Judging by the reviews it may be exactly this one.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/lab-thermometer.html

At mashing temps it was reading in the low 130s.

that thing is garbage, its no better than the old float thermometers a lot of LHBS stores sell - they should really be called "Lab-type" thermometers; they aren't true lab thermometers that are NIST certified, they just have the same look.  

get a Thermapen or other thermocouple reader (I got mine from Palmer Wahl) or a RTD reader .  or go to a lab supply site and buy a real, certified lab thermometer.  Its going to be more than $6  ;D

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 03:35:04 pm »
I paid $95 for mine after shipping/tax.  I think it will be a very worthy investment after using a dial thermometer up to this point.

Agreed...you're gonna really like it.  :)
Ron Price