Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Begian Dark vs Quad  (Read 13266 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Begian Dark vs Quad
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 12:28:16 pm »
I just see them as different variants of the same style of beer. You're really splitting hairs to try to divide those kind of beers into completely different styles. I've never heard or read any distinction that was anything more than semantics or completely arbitrary lines.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 04:56:34 pm »
What we need is Gordon Strong at a time like this.
He would have the definite answer.
Mr. Strong you in town?
 ;)
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline breslinp

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 06:40:58 pm »
The way I read the BJCP is that a quad belongs in the 18E category, but if you are trying to clone a specific Trappist beer then it belongs in 16E and you have to specify which one in the comments.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 04:02:29 am »
I sense that Belgian beers are like jazz. Most people who appreciate good beer know it's good. We get blonde vs dark, low abv vs high. Then there's other nuances,  and knowledge to be gained. Then there is the swirling vortex of deep philosophical debate over terminology, which usually is reserved seating only by invitation.

I'm in the "me like Belgian styles"  mob, as indicated by my love of Elysian Bete Blanche triple and Sierra Nevada Ovila quad. Both probably not true triple, quad, or Belgian.

I don't think truly Belgian quads actually exit, except in the BJCP categories. If they exist in Belgium, it's recent and for the benefit of Americans.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 09:28:58 am »
As I think somebody else mentioned, La Trappe calls their big dark beer a Quadrupel and I think they were the first to use the term in marketing. They aren't in Belgium though. I don't believe the term was intended to distinguish La Trappe Quad from other BDSA on the market just to improve marketing of their product along with the dubbel and tripel labels.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 12:16:58 pm »
I tried 'quad' in my French- English translator and it said it was an atv with four wheels. I think you are correct, no true Belgian quad. I agree with Denny that its a sub species of Belgian dark strong

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 12:20:41 pm »
As I think somebody else mentioned, La Trappe calls their big dark beer a Quadrupel and I think they were the first to use the term in marketing. They aren't in Belgium though. I don't believe the term was intended to distinguish La Trappe Quad from other BDSA on the market just to improve marketing of their product along with the dubbel and tripel labels.
+1.  Just a marketing term.

Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 02:18:35 pm »
In my pea brain the Belgians are
Blonde, tripple and strong on the light colored side
Dubel, quad and dark strong on the dark side
Might find cherry or plum in the quad
Its keeps it simple so I can understand it

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 02:56:40 pm »
In my pea brain the Belgians are
Blonde, tripple and strong on the light colored side
Dubel, quad and dark strong on the dark side
Might find cherry or plum in the quad
Its keeps it simple so I can understand it

not to be rude, but I don't see how that keeps it simple. 
there are most definitely cherry and plum flavors in some belgian dark strongs.  Even if this was not the case, is the possible presence of a couple fruity flavors/aromas enough to define a sub-style?  I don't think so.  What other differences do you see between them?

Denny's post keeps it simple - one is a subset of the other.  Using that rationale, Quad should be entered in Belgian Dark Strong. 

if Quad doesn't belong in 18E, then don't we need to know why?  What attributes knock these beers out?

cheers--
--Michael

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 03:06:04 pm »
That works too. So there's five Belgian styles and quad is a type of dark strong.  And its not rude. .. I'm still learning

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 03:32:07 pm »
IMO it's really more of a continuum where the styles have some overlap rather than having distinct baskets where the styles can be separated, if you will.

I've had beers labelled tripel that were like strong golden ales, and vice versa.

I think the same continuum applies for stouts and porters as well as old ale/barley wine and apa/ipa/iipa.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 06:42:55 pm »
I've seen some domestic quads at brewpubs that were pretty light in color.  I guess if its more of an indication of strength, it might fall in either the golden or dark category depending on the brewer's interpretation.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

narvin

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 06:44:32 pm »
La Trappe Quadrupel is a brand name of Koningshoeven, the on-again/off-again Trappist brewery in the Netherlands.  It means nothing in Belgium.  Mystery solved  :).

narvin

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 07:04:03 pm »
Or, if you want the context of why the BJCP makes a distinction, read the comments in category 18E:

"Barleywine-type beers (e.g., Scaldis/Bush, La Trappe Quadrupel, Weyerbacher QUAD) and Spiced/Christmas-type beers (e.g., N’ice Chouffe, Affligem Nöel) should be entered in the Belgian Specialty Ale category (16E), not this category."

Basically, the BJCP calls the Trappist and Abbey style a Belgian Dark Strong, except for some rare outliers.  Why do some of the American beers call themselves Quadrupel even though they fit in the Dark Strong category?  Probably because they think the name is cool.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 07:27:43 pm »
I guess if it were clear cut there would be nothing to talk about