Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale Yeast  (Read 10380 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale Yeast
« on: December 06, 2011, 07:44:38 pm »
I am fermenting a holiday-type beer with Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast.  I pitched the yeast on December 4th, so I was waiting until this Sunday to check the gravity.  However, I was expecting to get a huge, thick krausen given I pitched 3 packets since I didn't make a starter.  All were dated 31 October, so there shouldn't be an issue with it viability... I would think.  Has anyone else noticed this yeast doesn't make a bigger layer of krausen?

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale Yeast
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 08:45:37 pm »
I've experienced normal levels of krausen with this one, even fermenting it at 60F.  What was the OG?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 08:46:27 pm »
quite high... 1.084

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 09:09:15 pm »
Even with three packs you may have underpitched so that may be part of the problem.
Clint
Wort Hogs

wildknight

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 06:31:55 am »
I used it with a scottish 80 and the karusen was a good 3-4" thick.  I used that yeast cake on a wee heavy and the krausen blew through 1.25 gallons of headspace (and the airlock of course).  I had to use a blow off tube for at least 2 days.  You should be seeing a nice krausen. 

Offline greenbeltbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 06:57:39 am »
I re-pitched a porter on the cake from my 80/- and saw the most explosive fermentation start ever.  Even with foam control I couldn't keep the krausen down.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 09:48:47 am »
I just made a Scotch ale about 4 days ago with OG=1.088.  Fermentation temperature is about 60 F.  I pitched a 20-oz starter in 3 gallons, and fermentation started up within 12 hours, then it had a huge krausen for about 2 days, and now it's already fallen back in.  Time to check the gravity -- this might be a really fast yeast, I'm not sure.  Sure seems like it.  Is it possible that it's already finished fermentation for you when you weren't looking?  Check the gravity, that's the only way to know for sure.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 10:26:16 am »
I used it with a scottish 80 and the karusen was a good 3-4" thick.  I used that yeast cake on a wee heavy and the krausen blew through 1.25 gallons of headspace (and the airlock of course).  I had to use a blow off tube for at least 2 days.  You should be seeing a nice krausen. 

+1.  I use WY1728 frequently and always see anything from a 3-4" thick krausen to a blowout (when making a wee heavy).  I usually make a 2-4L starter, so your 3 packets should have done something.  Is there any evidence of a krausen on the carboy? 

I just made a Scotch ale about 4 days ago with OG=1.088.  Fermentation temperature is about 60 F.  I pitched a 20-oz starter in 3 gallons, and fermentation started up within 12 hours, then it had a huge krausen for about 2 days, and now it's already fallen back in.  Time to check the gravity -- this might be a really fast yeast, I'm not sure.  Sure seems like it.  Is it possible that it's already finished fermentation for you when you weren't looking?  Check the gravity, that's the only way to know for sure.

I haven't experienced overly quick fermentations with this yeast. They usually start fast, but go for a few days. I ferment this yeast at 60-62F, so a warmer fermentation probably would go faster.  As Dave suggests, check your FG.   
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 03:39:13 pm »
I have some krausen... just not thick.  I think she's fermenting, but just concerned because I'm not seeing crazy thick krausen on the top like I'm used to seeing after about 24 hours after pitching.  I'm guess I'll check the gravity tonight when I get back from work to see how she's going.  I usually like to wait seven days, but in this case I'll check early.  Thanks for all the input.

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 03:40:42 pm »
Did a gravity check... pitched yeast Sunday and OG was 1.082 (I said 1.084 earlier... not a big difference) .  It's now down to 1.030.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Guess it goes to show that you don't need a big, thick head of krausen for proper fermentation to occur.   

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 08:23:26 pm »
Personally I would be happy to see a less vigorous, more evenly paced ferment in a big brew.  I'm doing a Scottish 70/- with Whitelabs Scottish yeast and it doesn't seem to have a big krausen, and the stuff drops like a rock when its done.  I'm fermenting in a somewhat cool place, that probably explains the flocculation.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

wildknight

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 06:18:31 am »
Just repitched some WLP028 into a scottish 80.  After 36 hours @ 64 F, I have slightly over 3" of krausen.  This stuff really rips.  Interestingly though, I do not find it to be very flocculant.  In the starter, it never forms visible clumps of cells and in the carboy, it takes a good 2 weeks of cold crashing to get all of the cells out of suspension.  This stuff acts more like an alt or lager strain, IMO.