Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: An Idea:Counter flow cooler from ford truck egr cooler  (Read 7494 times)

Offline jet.gorilla

• Cellarman
An Idea:Counter flow cooler from ford truck egr cooler
« on: February 11, 2012, 11:17:03 pm »
im building my brew stand today and im thinking about wort chillers.  i look at a ford 6.4 liter diesel egr  cooler sitting on a shelf and the bulb goes off.  why not use  that as a counter flow chiller?  i will try to prototype that tomorrow.  Can anybody think of a reason why that won't work?  I'm going to collect  the run off water in a barrel for re-use for watering my garden for a green effect.

I have 50 of these units sitting on a shelf.  Seems like a good use for them.  thewheels are turning.

how do i post pictures here?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 11:20:28 pm by jet.gorilla »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: An Idea:Counter flow cooler from ford truck egr cooler
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 11:27:03 pm »
I don't know what an egr cooler is but to post a picture you first must upload said picture to a photo sharing website, snapfish, flickr etc. and then get the image URL from that site and click the little insert image button above() and paste the URL between the resulting bracketed commands
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:18:38 am »
How long is it? it looks kind of short but assuming it is all stainless or copper inside and any welds that will come in contact with wort are sanitary it should work. So this cooler is what keeps my TDI at 190? do you know the cooling capacity?
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 05:53:49 am »
Exhaust Gas Recirculation.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jet.gorilla

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 08:59:11 am »
How long is it? it looks kind of short but assuming it is all stainless or copper inside and any welds that will come in contact with wort are sanitary it should work. So this cooler is what keeps my TDI at 190? do you know the cooling capacity?
not quite.  this device cools the exhaust gas leaving the engine by pumping glycol through the core of the cooler and the exhaust over the core.   It pretty much cools 1800 degree air to under 200 degress in less than a second.  Its about 2 ft long and 2.5 inches in diameter.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 09:10:51 pm »
not quite.  this device cools the exhaust gas leaving the engine by pumping glycol through the core of the cooler and the exhaust over the core.   It pretty much cools 1800 degree air to under 200 degress in less than a second.  Its about 2 ft long and 2.5 inches in diameter.

well, that's fast enough for sure, although cooling gas is a lot easier than cooling liquid. still that's a lot of cooling capacity. I am intrigued and can't wait to hear how it goes!

the biggest concern I can see is sanitizing the area the wort will pass through. It's basically a glycol plate chiller
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline jet.gorilla

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 10:34:24 pm »
did not like results.  have a different plan.  this could end up being a fail in concept. 

narvin

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 07:21:56 am »
Sell it and buy two therminators  :)

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 12:15:52 pm »
if you can find an oil cooler from a cummins/dodge diesel, it looks just like a therminator. i have one that has never had oil ran through it and plan on using it.