Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hefeweizen techniques  (Read 10088 times)

Offline midtex

• Cellarman
Hefeweizen techniques
« on: January 19, 2010, 04:25:06 pm »
I'm a newbie and want to make a hefeweizen. Is there any difference in technique when transferring from the primary to secondary fermenter as far as stirring-up the yeast sediment? How about from the secondary to bottling? I know the suspended yeast is part of this style of beer, but don't know if you have to stir it up to keep it in suspension or just let it settle and avoid transferring it like a typical beer. Would this style benefit from a single-stage fermentationto keep it in contact with the trub longer? Thanks for your help!

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
Re: Hefeweizen techniques
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 06:16:26 pm »
I'm a newbie and want to make a hefeweizen. Is there any difference in technique when transferring from the primary to secondary fermenter as far as stirring-up the yeast sediment? How about from the secondary to bottling? I know the suspended yeast is part of this style of beer, but don't know if you have to stir it up to keep it in suspension or just let it settle and avoid transferring it like a typical beer. Would this style benefit from a single-stage fermentationto keep it in contact with the trub longer? Thanks for your help!

Ferment low to mid 60's
No secondary
Some brewers ( me at least ) underpitch a little on this style too
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline midtex

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 11:40:28 pm »
I appreciate the response. I also have a question about carbonation. I prefer this to be highly carbonated and it seems that most of what I read on hefeweizen suggests it should be as well. The standard priming of corn sugar is 3/4 cup for 5 gallons. Should I consider slightly more to ensure high carbonation? I sure don't want exploding bottles. My very first batch of homebrew was a Mr. Beer kit and I decided to use Coopers Carbonation Drops instead of the table sugar they recommended because I have read that table sugar can cause off-tastes to develop - well after almost 2 weeks@72F, it's still flat. I fermented 10 days @ 72F and then bottled and have kept it at 72 the entire time and it's not carbonating. The very last bottle got some trub in it and it is the only bottle that had a reasonable amount of carbonation. I bought the "Complete Joy of Homebrewing" and I'm ready to give it another shot - this time with better equipment and knowledge.

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 07:58:23 am »
I use only table sugar any more. No one could tell the difference.

You really need to use a calculator like this one and measure by weight. I like 3.5-4 volumes for hefeweizens. 4 might be pushing it for regular bottles. With PET bottles you could go higher.

I've used up to a 1/2 lb. of cane sugar in hefeweizens without off flavors or broken bottles.

Offline hankus

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 08:02:55 am »
Complete Joy of Homebrewing will NOT increase your knowledge azltho' "back in the day" is was the only thing we had..it's easier to learn  correctly rather than have to UNLEARN...try How to brew by Palmer -free on the net or just read advice for newbies on this forum or at Brew Your Own magazine's site

Offline midtex

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 08:23:27 am »
Thank you both - great resources. I hope I don't get something started here, but what's wrong with the Complete Joy of Homebrewing?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:09:03 am »
Thank you both - great resources. I hope I don't get something started here, but what's wrong with the Complete Joy of Homebrewing?

Basically it's very outdated and a lot of the info in there has since been disproven.  It was a great book "in its day" and Charlie's RDWHAHB attitude gave a lot of us our start on homebrewing, but in the years since it was written a lot has changed in terms of ingredients, equipment, techniques, and knowledge.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 10:19:10 am »

Ferment low to mid 60's
No secondary
Some brewers ( me at least ) underpitch a little on this style too

How much do you underpitch and what does it do for the brew?  I am about to embark on a Hefeweizen adventure as well.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 11:00:34 am »

How much do you underpitch and what does it do for the brew?  I am about to embark on a Hefeweizen adventure as well.

Not by much, 2/3rds or so

I get more balance , at least for my tastes
Jeff

On draught:

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 11:06:34 am »
I may give that a shot, just don't tell Keith ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 11:12:10 am »
I may give that a shot, just don't tell Keith ;)

You're lucky he hasn't posted on this thread.....yet.  ;D
Ron Price

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 11:17:41 am »
Actually, I pitch a 1L unstirred active starter of WLP380 HefeIV for mine - "technically" underpitching.  ;)

As far as "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" goes, it's a great book, and is still well worth the read IMO. however, it is a bit outdated and you will have to "unlearn" some things - but his techniques and recipes do make very good beer - they worked for me when I first started. And I've unlearned quite well.  ;)

After you finish Charlie's book pick up a copy of Palmer's "How to Brew".
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 11:20:07 am by majorvices »

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 11:26:08 am »

0.3 - 0.4 mil cells / Plato
This would translate to about 1000 ml starter per 5 gal of 1048 beer.

or this is what I have found in my notes:
"Wheat beers are pitched at about 0.5 rate of ale beers to produce more esters and aromatic compounds."
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 11:50:06 am »
I guess Keith's ears were burning.  :D

According to Mr. Malty one would need 185 billion cells for a 12.3°Plato (1.048) beer under normal conditions which equates to about a 1L starter using intermittent shaking and/or stir plate.

So the consensus is to pitch anywhere between .5 - .66 of the prescribed rate. Which would equate to a .5 - .66 Liter starter

Does this seem about right?

Ron Price

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 01:04:26 pm »
pitch anywhere between .5 - .66 of the prescribed rate

No, I pitch about 2/3  ;D
Jeff

On draught: