Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BIB; what does that bag look like?  (Read 3956 times)

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
  • Mill Creek Brewery, Temptation Rd
BIB; what does that bag look like?
« on: November 07, 2011, 08:57:48 am »
I will be giving BIB a go in a couple of weeks. What mesh would you recommend? I will
be doing it in a 15 gallon Polorware with a false bottom. So, what about the medium
nylon mesh and 18.75" x 19" at Northern Brewer? Not having seen the fine mesh, I would
think it's probably a little too fine and would risk plugging up.
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: BIB; what does that bag look like?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 09:06:03 am »
If you have a 15 gallon pot with a false bottom why bother with the bag? sounds like you have a mash tun ready to go already. Perhaps I am missing something?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 09:59:45 am »
If you have a 15 gallon pot with a false bottom why bother with the bag? sounds like you have a mash tun ready to go already. Perhaps I am missing something?
A bag would allow me to remove the grain and then to do the boil in one kettle. The motivation
behind this is: Next summer we are planning on doing a 5.5 gallon all grain brew in the boundary
waters; canoe access only. We plan on brewing, fermenting, kegging/carbing and drinking it
before we return to civilization.
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 10:03:14 am »
You can also drain into buckets, clean and refill the kettle with wort.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 10:25:43 am »
A bag would allow me to remove the grain and then to do the boil in one kettle. The motivation
behind this is: Next summer we are planning on doing a 5.5 gallon all grain brew in the boundary
waters; canoe access only. We plan on brewing, fermenting, kegging/carbing and drinking it
before we return to civilization.

that sounds like a blast! in that case, when I used a bag to mash in I used the grain bag that they sold at the LHBS which is a pretty fine mesh. kind of like a paint strainer bag or hop bag fineness.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 07:09:00 am »
Wow...That's an ambitious idea.
How long to you plan to be in the BWCA?
You might be able to get away with using 5 gallon paint strainer bags, from your local hardware store.
But, in my experience they are pretty coarse.
Maybe, double bag?
They're only like $2 for a 3 pack.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 12:31:55 pm »
Buy one at your LHBS or online.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/nylon-straining-bag-18-3-4-x-19-fine-mesh.html

If you want to make your own, the local fabric store often has un-dyed sheer nylon or polyester "voile" or "chiffon" used to make curtains and/or dresses that comes just about as fine as one can get.  You can make a bag out of that.  I'm not that resourceful.  I believe some Aussies originally described using this material for their BIAB techniques.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voile

http://www.eastsidebrewers.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=558&Itemid=86

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 01:03:26 pm »
the bags i have used were very fine stretchy almost t-shirt like material.  they start out about the size of a sock and stretch to basketball or bigger. 

the other option is to brew normally and give me your permits to the boundary waters.  i have had multiple scout troops up to ely, mn and loved it.
Don AHA member

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 10:28:30 am »
Thanks for the replys, the guys and I do a man camp or two/year. We have been tweaking our
equipment and process accordingly. As the last two decades have went by, our camp brewing
has developed into brew camping; age and energy was/is a factor. None the less, experience
has taught use the importance of fermentation temps. We have three options; lake, stream and
dig hole to ground water based on water table elevation. Is there a lager in our camp future?
Hmm? Anyway, we have a great time enjoying brewing and the out doors. Give it a go.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 07:34:56 pm »
You might be able to get away with using 5 gallon paint strainer bags, from your local hardware store.
But, in my experience they are pretty coarse.

The mesh strainer bags from Northern Brewer (and other places) are only $5, reusable, and they are food grade - unlike those paint strainer bags.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 10:06:37 am »
...and they are food grade - unlike those paint strainer bags.

Doesn't the "Food Grade" rating pretty much go out the window, when you hit it with 170+ degree water?
...Just curious...Not trying to argue.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 01:05:10 pm »
Doesn't the "Food Grade" rating pretty much go out the window, when you hit it with 170+ degree water?
...Just curious...Not trying to argue.

That may be right (probably is) but I'd still feel better starting off with food grade.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958