Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP510 Bastogne Yeast for Witbier?  (Read 2655 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
WLP510 Bastogne Yeast for Witbier?
« on: December 05, 2011, 02:09:20 pm »
I got this platinum strain not too long ago and so far have only used it to brew a nice Belgian pale ale.  My wife likes witbier and I was thinking of brewing one with this yeast.  Would it come out anything like a wit made with the conventional WLP400?  I have a really nice wit recipe.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: WLP510 Bastogne Yeast for Witbier?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 05:00:47 pm »
So is this like asking if you can brew a lager with us05?  I would think it's closer than that but maybe not.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

wildknight

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 06:53:42 pm »
I did a yeast experiment with a basic Belgian pale malt bill using 6 different yeasts. The WLP510 was the only one that had any orange flavors.  It reminded me of oranges and especially the rind and pith of the orange.  I think it would make a very tasty and  drinkable, if not perfectly accurate to style, Belgian wit. 

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 09:04:03 am »
I did a yeast experiment with a basic Belgian pale malt bill using 6 different yeasts. The WLP510 was the only one that had any orange flavors.  It reminded me of oranges and especially the rind and pith of the orange.  I think it would make a very tasty and  drinkable, if not perfectly accurate to style, Belgian wit. 

Wow that does sound nice.  I'm definitely going to give this a try, growing the yeast up right now.  I used it in a pale ale, I'll have to look for a citrus note in that.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

wildknight

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 01:46:04 pm »
FWIW, I started the yeast at 68 F, then after 48 hours I started increasing the temperature 1 F every ~12 hours (when I got up and when I went to bed, actually) until it got to 78 F.  This may be where I got some of the orange character, as I am sure you know, higher temps are one way to get more fruity esters. 

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 03:15:24 pm »
I'll give that general temperature regimen a try, thanks again.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO