Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Re-using Yeast for Starters  (Read 4075 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re-using Yeast for Starters
« on: December 05, 2011, 02:15:06 pm »
I generally use a yeast for several generations, and keep yeast cake in 8oz sterilized jelly jars.  I should also mention I brew 3gal batches for the most part.  Typically I'll pitch these into 1L of starter wort the day before (or sometimes the day of) brewing.  i think it gets the yeast revved up before pitching them into the abyss of a 3gal batch of wort.

My question is, should I be adding less of my yeast cake to a starter in order to get some new growth?  Am I even getting a doubling of cell number with a heavy pitch like this?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Re-using Yeast for Starters
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 02:30:32 pm »
How much is in the jars?  If it's a full 8 oz, I would use less.  Much less.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 02:38:37 pm »
There's probably a lot of trub in there too.  I was kinda wondering the same since I parce my yeast cakes off into 3 or 4 pint mason jars.  I've been pitching a whole jar without a starter. 
Jesse

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 02:39:17 pm »
Yes at least 6oz, and usually close to full.  I've been successful rousing yeast after two months this way.  But I do think you're right, I should be using about the same amount as you see in a Whitelabs vial which I would guess to be closer to 1oz.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 02:40:25 pm »
I suppose there some trub although I've been doing better about leaving the break in the kettle and I strain out the hops so I would guess the cake is 2/3 yeast or more.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 02:44:25 pm »
I suppose there some trub although I've been doing better about leaving the break in the kettle and I strain out the hops so I would guess the cake is 2/3 yeast or more.
Gotcha.  I don't really have a good way to leave out the trub and hops.  I just try to leave it in the kettle when I'm pouring into my fermenter.  Maybe I should get a strainer of some sort.  I also don't save yeast from highly hopped beers.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 03:01:48 pm »

Tom, what's the downside of using 6-8 oz.?  Less healthy yeast?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 03:02:58 pm »
You can't really strain out trub very well, the hop pellets seem to be caught fairly well though and they form a filter cake that does catch a little break.

Why don't you save yeast from hoppy beers?  I'd think you could let the beer settle off the yeast, decant that and maybe wash with some boiled/cooled water to bring it to a neutral flavor point.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 03:34:10 pm »

Tom, what's the downside of using 6-8 oz.?  Less healthy yeast?
6 oz of yeast is about 5 white labs vials.  That is a lot to add to a one liter starter, and for a 3 gallon batch.  I don't know if there's a huge downside really, but it's just not necessary and I would stick with more conventional pitching rates.

I don't worry about yeast health per volume like that - you have more unhealthy yeast, but more healthy yeast too.  If it is a fresh and healthy slurry, I'd skip the starter and just direct pitch an appropriate amount of yeast.  If you are worried about the health of the yeast, like if it's been sitting around for a while, then make a starter of appropriate volume and pitching rate for the beer you're making.  But I would use a bigger starter, that much yeast in 1 liter isn't going to give you much growth, if any, and might not really be energizing your yeast.

A fresh 6 oz slurry of yeast is more than enough for 5 gallons of a 1.100 beer, in 3 gallons it should be enough for anything Fred would throw it in :)

This all assumes ales of course, lager pitching rates will be higher.  And seriously Lennie, if you like your beers then don't change on my account.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 03:50:06 pm »
I've used harvested yeast cakes for making starters over the years. I usually rinse the yeast with some sterile water and make a starter at that point. Although, it's really hard to know what percentage of the yeast cake is live yeast, hence the "make a starter" to be sure method. I've pitched directly onto yeast cakes for some of my really big beers but tend to be more concerned with the pitching rates as of lately. Overpitching may adversely affect beer flavor but you'd have to experiment to determine the real impact based on the level of overpitching.

In theory overpitching would mean less growth and potentially less esters whereas underpitching the opposite occurs, excessive cell growth leading to more esters ultimately impacting beer flavor accordingly.

Ron Price

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 04:59:40 pm »
I've often thought the high pitch to a starter would prevent the yeast from "getting their bud on" before nutrients ran out.  It does let you know about the health of the yeast though.  It works but I think I'll use more like an ounce for a starter when I have time.  I do enjoy reusing yeast, it kind of let's me rotate what I brew based on what yeast is fresh and ready to go.  Plus with small batches it reduces the cost of that ingredient significantly.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 09:19:46 pm »
I usually rack my beer off of the yeast and then rinse the cake with some boiled, cooled water. I let it sit for about 20-25 minutes. The dead yeast drop to the bottom and I pour the good stuff into a couple of sterile mason jars for later. The mason jars have measurements on the side of the jar. Check mr.malty.com and use the calculator to determine how many ml you need to ad to your wort for the proper pitch. Seems to work great for my ales. My only question on this practice is how long the yeast is good for once Its in the mason jar and stored in the refrigerator.  I've had great results with anything less than a month old. Never really used any that were older than that.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 09:47:32 pm »
It will last a long time, potentially a very long time if you use distilled water.  But after 3 months you might want to make a starter or pitch extra.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 02:00:39 pm »
It will last a long time, potentially a very long time if you use distilled water.  But after 3 months you might want to make a starter or pitch extra.
Good to know. Thanks, Tom! Looks like I've been throwing away good yeast!
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 02:58:29 pm »
Good to know. Thanks, Tom! Looks like I've been throwing away good yeast!
Maybe, but you should have plenty from your fermentations, right? :)
Tom Schmidlin