Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My First Homebrew!  (Read 7441 times)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: My First Homebrew!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 06:51:36 am »
awesome job man!

And btw, this is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your chair with a Coors Light. You take the red pill - you stay in Homebrewland and we show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes...

The Red Pill it is!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 06:59:27 am »
Cheers everyone!  There is no way that my IPA would have turned out like it did without this forum.  I spent many hours going through the AHA site and reading countless threads in the forum to prepare myself for this endeavor.  The great thing is the wife is totally into homebrewing now and we've already built our cooler mash tun as we assemble the all grain set up, which probably should be complete in the next couple of months.   
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 07:41:31 am »
Awesome!

Welcome to our obsession.  :)
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 08:13:47 am »
That picture looks tasty! Congrats on your first beer. Here's to many more to come!

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 08:16:07 am »
Good job!! Looks like you brewed a great beer right out of the chute.

Better get started on your next one....

Bruce

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 08:18:06 am »
Congrats!  I didn't brew decent beer until about my 3rd or 4th batch.  Looks like you're started on the right foot right off the bat.  That's very encouraging.
Jesse

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 08:25:16 am »
awesome job man!

And btw, this is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your chair with a Coors Light. You take the red pill - you stay in Homebrewland and we show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes...

The Red Pill it is!

Good for you!  Congrats!
Dave Zach

Offline ncbluesman

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 05:59:30 am »
Congrats!  Looks tasty.  When I started, I didn't have access to a resource like this forum, so I agree.  What a great resource this community of skilled brewers can be.  My first homebrew experience wasn't so fortunate.  My buddy got me started with a pale ale kit and I can only guess that the yeast wasn't viable.  It sat for 3 days before fermentation took off and the first taste of the beer made it apparent that the yeast that fermented my homebrew wasn't the yeast I pitched, but I bottled it and called it a Lambic!  Drank every bottle.  But my second beer, Avagadro's Expeditious Old Ale from Charlie's book was a huge success and I've been brewing since.  Welcome to a rewarding addiction hobby.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 06:40:44 am »
Sweet! There's no turning back now...  8)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 12:23:29 pm »
Way to go! I think it's awesome you kegged your first batch. Hardcore. No go bottle your next one. It's a rite of passage.  ;D

Before I did my first batch, I helped a friend with his batch of Brown Ale and we bottled that batch.  The bottling process and the waiting for conditioning steered me to keg my brew!  I've bottled some from the keg to give to friends, but it's all keg for me know!

Congrats on the first brew! And bottles are a pain to keep track of, store and keep clean. Kegs are virtually headache free though they have their own problems associated. It's better to keg in 15 minutes than spend over an hour making a mess filling bottles.

Did you use a recipe or a kit?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 06:51:36 pm »
Way to go! I think it's awesome you kegged your first batch. Hardcore. No go bottle your next one. It's a rite of passage.  ;D

Before I did my first batch, I helped a friend with his batch of Brown Ale and we bottled that batch.  The bottling process and the waiting for conditioning steered me to keg my brew!  I've bottled some from the keg to give to friends, but it's all keg for me know!

Congrats on the first brew! And bottles are a pain to keep track of, store and keep clean. Kegs are virtually headache free though they have their own problems associated. It's better to keg in 15 minutes than spend over an hour making a mess filling bottles.

Did you use a recipe or a kit?

Thanks!  I used a recipe kit that was put together by my local brew shop.  Their instructions didn't call for it, but I dry hopped with 1oz of Cascade pellets.  I just kegged a Hefeweizen (kit from the brew shop) and it already tastes great!  just needs a few more days to finish carbonation.  It's my wife's favorite beer style and I actually had her perform all the brew steps.  I just picked up a keg shell which I'll be turning into a brew kettle this weekend.  The last part to my all grain set up is the propane burner and then it's on to my all grain venture!
Jeremy Baker

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 08:28:11 pm »
Man, you've caught it bad!   :D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 08:51:31 pm »
Man, you've caught it bad!   :D
I've got a fever and the only prescription is more homebrew! (in my Christopher Walken voice)
Jeremy Baker

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2011, 10:11:00 pm »
I like the way you think!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2011, 10:53:26 pm »
I just picked up a keg shell which I'll be turning into a brew kettle this weekend.  The last part to my all grain set up is the propane burner and then it's on to my all grain venture!

Mash tun? What approach are you going to use? Chances are we can help you with this. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis