Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help with my first homebrew frementation  (Read 2966 times)

Offline mistermog

• 1st Kit
Help with my first homebrew frementation
« on: December 04, 2011, 08:49:04 pm »
I'm just over 24 hours into my first homebrew.  I just checked in on it and found this in/around the airlock.

Is this a problem and, if so, what should I do about it?

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: Help with my first homebrew frementation
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:03:02 pm »
you probably just have a violent fermentation going with little head space in the bucket.  hard to tell.  maybe a very warm fermentation temp.

what to do about it- let it go and start batch number two.
Don AHA member

Offline mistermog

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 09:10:09 pm »
So no need to clean the airlock or anything?

Sorry, I'm just paranoid about missing something basic.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 09:15:09 pm »
looks like just a vigorous fermentation. I would just clean out and replace the airlock, and think about getting a blow-off tube for further batches. Its not a big deal, I have had a few batches blow through the airlock, and they all turned out fine. With that vigorous of a fermentation, everything is pushing out, so nothing should be able to get in. Also, The Kraeusen forms a barrier to nasties getting in, thats why open fermentation is still able to produce a good beer with attention paid to sanitation.

Long Story Short, RDWHAHB (Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew) or commercial beer in your case.

Offline mistermog

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 09:21:02 pm »
Outstanding, thanks everyone!

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 09:24:34 pm »
I've had the vent holes in the top of my air lock get clogged before which caused the airlock to shoot out of my carboy like a rocket! So, as mentioned before, clean and replace the airlock and get yourself a blow hose. Chances are, you already have one laying around if you have any racking tube which as a new brewer, you should. Place the blow off tube in the hole on top of your bucket and run it to a jar filled with sanitizer.  Its a lot harder to clog a blow off hose than it is to clog an airlock.  By the way, what did you brew and what was the OG? Good luck and welcome to the hobby...er.....obsession!
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 11:12:14 pm »
not to worry. take good notes. change only one thing at a time.

without more info, i would guess you are fermenting too warm. that is more likely than you overpitched, which would be my second guess. like they said, clean it up. put a blow-off tube in.
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

wildknight

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 06:58:35 am »
Looks like the krausen has already retreated back down into the bucket, so there is not further risk or impacts to your beer.  Clean it if you like, but it is no longer in contact with your beer so there is no immediate reason to do so.  I always fill my airlock with star san or ethanol for these types of events.  That way, even if the krausen contacts the surfaces of the airlock, it is only contacting sanitized surfaces and will not pick up any bacteria. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 12:53:36 pm »
Also leave a couple gallons head-space in the bucket. As in don't fill it all the way! Thusly, the 8 gallon fermenters are ideal for the vigorous fermentation and it's krausen to rise without being inhibited.

Because of this I don't use airlocks for primary, but just lay the lid on top of the bucket. I refrain from peeking in there, just checking after the first 8 hours or so to see if fermentation has kicked off. Once I see the signs I don't lift the lid for at least 5 days and even up to a week or two.

Congrats on the first brew! Welcome to the obsession.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis