Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blowoff tube vs. airlock. Does it affect bitterness?  (Read 20242 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Blowoff tube vs. airlock. Does it affect bitterness?
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2010, 07:37:47 pm »
Attenuation is rather poor due to the Munich malt I used. I used Franco Belges and this is likely the last time I use this malt.

This seems like and odd statement from you. A single usage and you discount this at the issue?

I don't have in my inventory who my base Munich malt is from, but I suspect it may be MFB and if so have never had an issue with it.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2010, 08:23:15 pm »
Kai, did you do this as a blind tasting?  I look forward to the results of that kind of test.

I did 3 sets of two and was able to get the first one right. On the second one I noticed that the lingering bitterness is not easily erased by the next beer which does make distinction on this characteristic difficult.

I also didn't draw enough beer for large enough samples for more thorough tasting.

Kai

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2010, 09:42:48 am »
Denny . . I know you are pragmatic!  ;) (Maybe I an too . .)  

So, let me ask a question in response to your question . . Is it not possible to make an objective judgement of flavor without doing a blind test?

Maybe, but my experience is that as long as you know which beer is which, you will always have a bias on a subconscious level.  For instance, in my FWH experiment, when I poured the 2 different beers for myself, I was sure that I could tell which was which and what the attributes were.  When my wife poured 2 of one and one of the other, it took me 3 tries to pick out the different one, and even then I was wrong about which one it was!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell