Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sierra Nevada Celebration  (Read 3239 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Sierra Nevada Celebration
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 12:00:47 pm »

For me all these Christmas beers are great the first time you drink one. Then the newness wears off quickly and you're left with a bunch of syrupy/spicey beer you end up throwing up next summer because they break down in storage.  :-X

Mix-a-six is the way to go for me if I want to partake

Celebration is (was?) a red IPA, though.  No spice at all.
Yeah, celebration is just an IPA.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 12:50:17 pm »
I seem to have been mistaken. I'd always been told the recipe changed from year to year, and until now had never heard otherwise.

Wasn't trying to start anything, was simply misinformed.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 01:03:23 pm »
Wasn't trying to start anything, was simply misinformed.

Sorry - i thought maybe you were joshing the board (i should have used an emoticon now that i think of it), trying to start that discussion up as a joke.   Every year someone inevitably says that 'but the recipe this year is different' which launches pages of debate.  Most of the folks on this particular forum are longtimers and aware that it doesn't change, so i thought maybe you were being funny. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 02:13:27 pm »
I am a bit confused by the seemingly controversy surround whether the recipe does or does not change.

god that is one of those interweb rumors that won't go away.  It does not change.  Its the same every year with the first dried hops of the new harvest.  I've heard countless interviews with Steve Dressler where he is emphatic that it doesn't change.

What does change is nature - the growing conditions for the hops which have impacts on the hops used and the final flavor and aroma of the beer.  Also, people's memory of something from a year ago versus what is right in front of them has a way of being either overly critical or overly nostalgic.

here is the recipe:

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=9713.0

its solid.  and dare i say exact.

I think people's memories are more to blame than anything. I would bet that SN pretty carefully selects their hops to maintain consistency of flavor from year to year - not necessarily to pick the "best" crop of hops.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 02:20:37 pm »
Actually, prior to last year, I always felt like Celebration was remarkably consistent to my memories of it each year. I normally went through a case or two each fall. Just thought last year's was really bland. It won't stop me from buying some this weekend.
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2015, 02:20:43 pm »
I agree about people's memories - especially mine!  Another factor that I am continually amazed at is how my palate changes.  I might pull another out of the six pack tonight and enjoy it more than last night's.  Last night we had a birthday dinner for my son-in-law which entailed some whiskey (neat) a great meal with lots going on spice-wise, followed by 2 other IPAs.  The last beer of the night was the Celebration.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2015, 02:58:04 pm »
i am in agreement that its probably more memory - if  Celebration were a year round thing you'd never hear this discussion most likely.

however, i don't think natural variance of the hop harvest should be discounted.   i remember a year ('08 or '09?) where the centennial harvest in particular was very poor - very yellowy and poor yields - IIRC it was due to suboptimal rainfall.  anyway, the beers I made with centennial that year were noticeably not the same and i use a lot of that hop.

I also recall a particular year - might have been 2011 when the very first batch of Celebration to hit shelves was noted as very harsh in bitterness.  A forum member contacted SN and they were aware of it - the Chinook that year had a sharper bite than normal and they had adjusted to account for this in subsequent batches. 

if you talk with any pros, most will tell you they often make slight adjustments to recipes with each new harvest.  Vinnie Cilurzo changes the hop combo/proportions on PTE over time. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2015, 03:32:55 pm »
I actually enjoy the slight variations even if they are imagined. In a world where consistency seems to rule the day (fast food, mega breweries, etc) a little unpredictability is welcome. Some people must have the same tree same decorations same music every year. Some like seeing the changes.  I dont LOVE Celebration,  but I do like it a lot and look forward to it showing up every year to kick off that holiday spirit. Samuel Smith too! And yes, even Jubelale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2015, 04:35:03 pm »
I actually enjoy the slight variations even if they are imagined. In a world where consistency seems to rule the day (fast food, mega breweries, etc) a little unpredictability is welcome. Some people must have the same tree same decorations same music every year. Some like seeing the changes.  I dont LOVE Celebration,  but I do like it a lot and look forward to it showing up every year to kick off that holiday spirit. Samuel Smith too! And yes, even Jubelale

I agree with what you're saying, Jim. I like that my beers vary a little from batch to batch. Even when I nail one totally, I'm liable to change it up the next time I brew it, just to try something different. I guess what I was getting at was that I always found Celebration consistently good from year to year, where last year's seemed mediocre. Hell, they could keep the grist the same and use different hops varieties each year and I'd buy it if it were good.
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2015, 06:03:12 pm »
Actually, prior to last year, I always felt like Celebration was remarkably consistent to my memories of it each year. I normally went through a case or two each fall. Just thought last year's was really bland. It won't stop me from buying some this weekend.

Ah, so perhaps that's why my tastebuds seemed to back up my mistaken belief in the recipe changing. 2013 and 2014 are the only years I've tasted Celebration.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2015, 09:26:11 pm »

I have a hard time calling it an IPA. I know it fits the definition. Just one of those things where I refuse to get with the times. In the 90's (not sure when they changed it) it was just called Celebration Ale, with no reference to IPA. Although back then I'd never heard of an IPA either.

I went to college in Chico, which is where I got my taste for ales and Sierra Nevada. Celebration and Bigfoot both really hit that nostalgia button for me. The first time I ever tried (and loved) craft beer was on Halloween just before these beers came out. They were the first 2 seasonal beers I ever had. I still remember trying to chug a Celebration in my dorm room. Back when I was young and dumb and thought the goal was to drink as many as I could as fast as I could. I have a compulsion to buy a six pack of each every year.

Celebration certainly isn't a modern take on IPA, but it's a solid beer and it's one that really paved the way for the hoppy beers we all love today.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 08:45:48 am »

I have a hard time calling it an IPA. I know it fits the definition. Just one of those things where I refuse to get with the times. In the 90's (not sure when they changed it) it was just called Celebration Ale, with no reference to IPA. Although back then I'd never heard of an IPA either.

I went to college in Chico, which is where I got my taste for ales and Sierra Nevada. Celebration and Bigfoot both really hit that nostalgia button for me. The first time I ever tried (and loved) craft beer was on Halloween just before these beers came out. They were the first 2 seasonal beers I ever had. I still remember trying to chug a Celebration in my dorm room. Back when I was young and dumb and thought the goal was to drink as many as I could as fast as I could. I have a compulsion to buy a six pack of each every year.

Celebration certainly isn't a modern take on IPA, but it's a solid beer and it's one that really paved the way for the hoppy beers we all love today.

Hey I'm a wildcat, too.  I imagine they added IPA to the label to increase appeal when people at browsing the shelf.  I imagine Stone started calling Ruinten a triple IPA for the same reason.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 10:00:31 am »
I was at Beer Camp in the fall a few years back, when Celebration was being brewed.  These are the bags of dry hops for it.  Each one is for 400 bbl.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2015, 10:30:14 am »
Very cool. I'd love to go to the Beer Camp sometime,
Jon H.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2015, 11:21:49 am »
Celebration is the seasonal I look forward to the most and I think this year's is solid. The helpful stocker at my grocery store put it underneath a stack of Torpedo and SNPA, so maybe it tastes better because I had to work for it  ;)
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.