Author Topic: Celebration is out again  (Read 3607 times)

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
Re: Celebration is out again
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2013, 08:13:59 PM »
I'm going to pick up a case or two of celebration this season! And I know just where to get them. ..

Love this beer. Will be picking up some myself. Last year I bought a 12-pack. I think I'll do the same. :)
Ron Price

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2013, 07:03:42 AM »
Just picked up a case yesterday.  I love this beer.  It's not easy to find when you live down the road from Yuengling.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
Lehigh Valley Homebrewers

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2013, 10:42:08 AM »
Definitely a great beer and I buy it every year. However, I've got to agree with Sean. My memory is that it is different now. Very possibly, we're exposed to so many great IPAs now that it seems less outstanding.
When I first discovered it, probably late 80's or early 90's, it was on tap for the holidays at a little dive bar across from the original Summit brewhouse. It was not anywhere near where I normally went in my daily travels, but I remember detouring on my way home, or even sneaking out of work to go grab a pint. That stuff would literally call to me across the miles........come....I'm here, and I obeyed. ;D 
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 10:48:34 AM »
I went looking for celebration today. I found 2012 Celebration at two stores! No 2013. I am in Mississippi so we get beer late, but, 2012?! I am wondering if that has been sitting on the shelf for a year or if the buyer at the beer store got snookered.

If you tell SN, they'll kick the distributor's butt.  That isn't supposed to happen.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »
Definitely a great beer and I buy it every year. However, I've got to agree with Sean. My memory is that it is different now. Very possibly, we're exposed to so many great IPAs now that it seems less outstanding.
When I first discovered it, probably late 80's or early 90's, it was on tap for the holidays at a little dive bar across from the original Summit brewhouse. It was not anywhere near where I normally went in my daily travels, but I remember detouring on my way home, or even sneaking out of work to go grab a pint. That stuff would literally call to me across the miles........come....I'm here, and I obeyed. ;D

Diane, you may have changed, but Celebration hasn't!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2013, 10:55:53 AM »
I think it has changed over the years.  Several years ago, just for that one season, it was way hoppier than the usual Celebration.  I think maybe they borrowed Sam Calagione's Randal to brew it with that year.  I thought it was their best vintage yet, but apparently not everyone agreed.  Several people I spoke to about it didn't like it being that hoppy.  I sure did though. 

Celebration season is my favorite time of the year.  I'm not a fan of the spiced and fruited holiday offerings, but the big winter warmers are always a treat.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2013, 11:01:34 AM »
Just picked up a case yesterday.  I love this beer.  It's not easy to find when you live down the road from Yuengling.

Is Yuengling like a killer strain of yeast or something - out-propagating all competition?   ;)

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2013, 11:09:54 AM »

Diane, you may have changed, but Celebration hasn't!

I'm pretty sure Steve Dressler said on Can You Brew It that it had changed way back when, since Centennial hops weren't available when they first brewed it. But they haven't changed it since they made that change to the hop schedule.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2013, 12:34:21 PM »
I think it has changed over the years.  Several years ago, just for that one season, it was way hoppier than the usual Celebration.  I think maybe they borrowed Sam Calagione's Randal to brew it with that year.  I thought it was their best vintage yet, but apparently not everyone agreed.  Several people I spoke to about it didn't like it being that hoppy.  I sure did though. 

Celebration season is my favorite time of the year.  I'm not a fan of the spiced and fruited holiday offerings, but the big winter warmers are always a treat.

I think we've been over this in another thread.  I know for a fact, from people at the brewery who I trust, that the recipe hasn't changed in years.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2013, 12:35:40 PM »
I'm pretty sure Steve Dressler said on Can You Brew It that it had changed way back when, since Centennial hops weren't available when they first brewed it. But they haven't changed it since they made that change to the hop schedule.

I don't know how long they've been brewing it, but Centennial has been around since at least 96-97.  Although it wasn't called Centennial back then.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2013, 12:45:31 PM »

I don't know how long they've been brewing it, but Centennial has been around since at least 96-97.  Although it wasn't called Centennial back then.

Trying to remember Denny - what did it used to be called?  Was it Super Cascade?  Maybe that was just a nickname.
Jon H.

Offline punatic

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2013, 12:56:34 PM »

I think we've been over this in another thread.  I know for a fact, from people at the brewery who I trust, that the recipe hasn't changed in years.

Be that as it may, I know what I tasted and it was hands down way hoppier than other vintages.  Others whose beer evaluation skills I have confidence in agreed.

Mayhap even Sierra Nevada has the occasional problem with "cloning" their own beer?  Particularly from one year to the next with a seasonal.  Water and yeast are fairly constant from year to year, but malt and hops can vary greatly.   

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2013, 03:06:15 PM »

Trying to remember Denny - what did it used to be called?  Was it Super Cascade?  Maybe that was just a nickname.

CFJ-90
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:09:12 PM by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2013, 03:44:47 PM »

Their web site says 1981. Damn, I hadn't even started drinking Miller in 1981!
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline hd3

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2013, 05:51:41 PM »
picked up a 6 pack of this the other day.  Great beer.  Much more bitter than I was expecting and it lingers, but I'm not complaining.   ;D
Hermen D.
Liquid Poets Society - Homebrew Club