Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cappers  (Read 4766 times)

Offline cwh

• 1st Kit
cappers
« on: December 07, 2011, 08:57:52 am »
   I've used the Emily capper for a dozen years and want a backup that's more stable, not that I've had problems with the Emily.  Are the Agate and related bench cappers as shoddy as I've read in reviews?  Thanks, Bill

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: cappers
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 12:03:49 pm »
I don't know about reviews but my red wing capper is starting to suck. Definitely get a bench capper. I plan to as soon as old red breaks.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 12:07:57 pm »
You just have to break one bottle neck while pressing down with a wing capper, to realize that the best place for it is the trash. Actually bench cappers aren't that much more expensive when you consider your safety.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 12:42:42 pm »
You just have to break one bottle neck while pressing down with a wing capper, to realize that the best place for it is the trash. Actually bench cappers aren't that much more expensive when you consider your safety.

Eeek! The thought of plunging a broken bottle neck into my forearm is not something that brings good feelings. :-[
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 02:09:19 pm »
I've used antique versions of the bench cappers the whole time I've been brewing, they work great.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 05:25:08 pm »
I pulled the tops off of at least 3 bottles. I bought an agate bench capper and have used it problem free for my last 13 brews. I don't know why anybody would call them shoddy. I love mine.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 05:48:33 pm »
I was given a bench capper as a Christmas present in 1989.  It's the only capper I've used since.  20 bazillion bottles later I still love it.  It has never broken a bottle or caused me to cuss it in any way.

This is what it looks like, except it has a manually adjustable lever for changing for the bottle height.  The one in the picture looks like it is auto-height-adjusting.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 05:58:00 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 07:27:11 pm »
Yep, that's a good capper.

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 06:50:29 am »

+1

The tiny extra price of a bench capper is so worth the money.  I lost three bottles of a Grand Cru  :'( to my flimsy wing capper (after only 4 batches  >:( ) and immediately bought a bench capper afterwards and have had no problems with it at all.  I find it faster too.
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 10:31:44 am »
I have yet to graduate to a bench capper, still using old emily.  Everyone that's ever visited my brewery on bottling day has been taught how to us them with no broken bottles, and maybe only a few mis caps here and there, but I do want to step up to the Agata.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals