Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP Exam Question  (Read 4816 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: BJCP Exam Question
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 12:10:52 pm »
I needed to get a 98 on the tasting to get the 1 more point I needed.  Not even close....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 08:01:23 pm »
I needed to get a 98 on the tasting to get the 1 more point I needed.  Not even close....
You couldn't score a measly 98?!  Whats wrong with you?  You need more practice.  That or all those hops have dulled your taste buds.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 04:41:57 pm »
The highest anyone has ever gotten on the taste is a 97 and three have accomplished that feat. One person got a 96, eleven got 95...in reality only 83 people have ever made a 91 or above and at the time I figured out those stats 6,267 had tried ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 06:58:23 pm »
The highest anyone has ever gotten on the taste is a 97 and three have accomplished that feat. One person got a 96, eleven got 95...in reality only 83 people have ever made a 91 or above and at the time I figured out those stats 6,267 had tried ;)

OK Denny I forgive you.  But next time I know you'll set the new record.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline CASK1

• Cellarman
  • Jacksonville, FL
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 06:59:44 pm »
I've graded many BJCP exams, and here's my advice for the tasting portion. The scoresheet gives crucial hints. In the "aroma" section for example, the scoresheet says "comment of malt, hops, esters, and other aromatics". It's important to hit all those features, even if you don't detect them (no diacetyl, no DMS). Similar hints are part of every section - hit all these highlights! I'm amazed at how many scoresheets make no mention of hop bitterness levels, etc. Another suggestion is to use as much descriptive terminology as possible. To (correctly) state that a beer has medium to high malt flavor is good. To describe (again, correctly) that the malt flavor is bready, or toasty, biscuity, caramel, roasty, etc. is MUCH better. Oh, and don't forget to check the boxes on the stylistic accuracy table at the bottom of the scoresheet! Cheers, and good luck on the exam!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 08:15:02 pm »
I've graded many BJCP exams, and here's my advice for the tasting portion. The scoresheet gives crucial hints. In the "aroma" section for example, the scoresheet says "comment of malt, hops, esters, and other aromatics". It's important to hit all those features, even if you don't detect them (no diacetyl, no DMS). Similar hints are part of every section - hit all these highlights! I'm amazed at how many scoresheets make no mention of hop bitterness levels, etc. Another suggestion is to use as much descriptive terminology as possible. To (correctly) state that a beer has medium to high malt flavor is good. To describe (again, correctly) that the malt flavor is bready, or toasty, biscuity, caramel, roasty, etc. is MUCH better. Oh, and don't forget to check the boxes on the stylistic accuracy table at the bottom of the scoresheet! Cheers, and good luck on the exam!
Appreciate the advice, I'm working on my adjectives and have been doing a better job of including a mention of those traits/faults I don't detect.  Its actually easy to include that verbage, sometimes I feel guilty when I include these comments in actual judging.  Its like I'm wasting space.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO