Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stout: How sweet is too sweet?  (Read 3089 times)

Offline WesKinetic

• 1st Kit
Stout: How sweet is too sweet?
« on: December 13, 2011, 08:09:48 pm »
I'm thinking of brewing a stout that would be spiced somewhat like Cigar City's Hunahpu's Imperial Stout (cocoa, cinnamon, ancho chiles), but would be sessionable strength (5%-5.5%). Hunahpu's Light, if you will.

I want to use some piloncillo in the boil and have a relatively sweet final product to balance out with the chile. But I'm worried my recipe might come out too sweet. Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions.

MASH
6 1/2 lb two-row
1 lb Crystal 60L
12 oz chocolate malt
8 oz roasted barley
8 oz flaked corn

BOIL
1 lb piloncillo

Never brewed with piloncillo before and just wanted to see what everyone thought. Thanks!

Offline oly

• Cellarman
  • beervana
Re: Stout: How sweet is too sweet?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 08:27:34 pm »
I don't think that recipe will finish overly sweet. It is a bit high percentage of crystal compared to the base malt but not over the top. The piloncillo won't add any sweetness to the final beer, it will pretty much ferment out completely, in fact it will result in a bit less body than if you used base malt only (to the same OG).  I like piloncillo, I use it in some belgians that I want to finish dry and it does seem to add a bit of flavor that more refined sugars do not.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 08:39:24 pm »
Agreed with Oly, the piloncillo won't add much sweetness, if at all. Should be ok, if not a bit dry.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:09:56 pm »
The roasted barley will give the impression of dryness, the corn and sugar will also dry it out.  The crystal will increase the sweetness perception.

You want it to finish sweeter, but you don't mention your mash temp.  I would try ~156F and see how it comes out.  Or try eliminating some of the things that will make it drier.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline WesKinetic

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 11:30:42 am »
Thanks for your help, everybody. I was planning to mash at 156, but I didn't realize that piloncillo would ferment out that much, so that is very helpful. I'll tweak the recipe a bit and should be good to go. Thanks again!

Related question: does piloncillo add much in the way of flavor if used as the priming sugar?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 11:48:55 am »
Thanks for your help, everybody. I was planning to mash at 156, but I didn't realize that piloncillo would ferment out that much, so that is very helpful. I'll tweak the recipe a bit and should be good to go. Thanks again!

Related question: does piloncillo add much in the way of flavor if used as the priming sugar?

I havn't noticed a huge amount of flavour from priming sugar choices. but i have not tried piloncillo
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 12:05:12 pm »

Not in my experience.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell