Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling Cider  (Read 3102 times)

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
Bottling Cider
« on: December 22, 2011, 05:31:49 am »
This is the first time that I have made cider.  I used pasteurized organic cider and made two batches to compare yeasts. In one I used WLP775 English Cider and in the other I used Safale04.  My question is: After I move it to a secondary, how long can I hold it there and still have enough yeast in suspension for bottle conditioning? 
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Bottling Cider
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 06:29:08 am »
Up to about six months you'll have plenty of yeast in suspension to carbonate. After that, it will still carbonate but will take more time - like up to 4-6 weeks - so new yeast will shorten that. You can add pretty much any yeast for carbonation, since it is fermenting a tiny bit of sugar and won't add any character (what I'm saying is you wouldn't need to buy another tube of WLP775.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 08:00:45 am »
+1.  There's enough yeast in there for a long time.  The real matter is how long it will take to carbonate.  Sometimes it takes a good month or longer.  Don't expect the cider to be fully carbonated in 2 weeks like a beer -- probably not going to happen.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 11:57:19 am »
If you are done with primary it isn't a bad idea to just bottle the cider right away and be done with it. Cider bottle conditions beautifully.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis