Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP Exam Question  (Read 4815 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
BJCP Exam Question
« on: December 08, 2011, 02:52:41 pm »
I passed the exam last year and got a Recognized overall, but my written was good enough for certified (barely, 70).  I had no experience tasting/judging beers when I took the test.  Now I've judged some contests and have a bette idea of how things go.

My question is, with the changes that have (or are going to?) occur, how would I go about retaking the tasting portion of the test to get to the next level of Certified?

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: BJCP Exam Question
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 03:24:38 pm »
Once you have taken the complete exam you can sign up to take either portion or both parts again, assuming you can find an exam near you with extra seats.  The changes for the tasting portion are minimal, I think.  Six beers, instead of three if I read that correctly.  Here's a pdf I found on the new changes:
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/newexam.pdf
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 07:49:30 pm »
Thanks, I didn't see that on the BJCP website but it was probably there.  Its always tricky to get in to take an exam, I had a chance last summer on short notice but hadn't really practiced much.  This isn't something I'm in a big hurry to do but I do want to get to the next level if possible.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 06:27:54 am »
After posting this, another forum member contacted me with an invitation to take the tasting test at their exam in January.  Its even close by in Galesburg IL.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 07:01:40 am »
The taste exam by itself is currently not something you have to spend an extreme amount of time studying for other than to taste a myriad of beers and learn to describe what you sense. Fill in all the white space and don't make things up. IMO on the taste exam try to not speak to style until the Overall Impression (if even then) and you will maximize your results.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 07:31:42 am »
Thanks, I'll certainly take that advice.  I've judged six or seven contests now, including one this past weekend.  So I have the mechanics down and am building up my adjective arsenal.  I feel like I have a decent palate as far as detecting your classic flaws, only thing I'm not good at detecting is oxidation.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 07:37:43 am »
i think oxidation tastes like stale bread.  if you have ever decided to finish off the remnants of a kegger a few days after it was tapped you'll understand that one.  everything else i am at a loss for still
Don AHA member

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 08:29:26 am »
I get cardboard with oxidation. it can actually start out kind of nice, a little sweet tasting (I guess this is called sherry like) but quicky turns to cardboard.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 08:42:40 am »
I get cardboard with oxidation. it can actually start out kind of nice, a little sweet tasting (I guess this is called sherry like) but quicky turns to cardboard.

I find oxidation often produces exaggerated caramel type flavors.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jaronson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 04:05:16 pm »
Usually if you are just wanting to take the tasting portion it is much easier.  Contact the test organizer and let him/her know you just want to take the tasting portion.  Usually even if they are currently booked, they will be able to get you in in a week or two before the test date.  I have done this personally a couple of times.  If you have any further questions I would be more than happy to get you answers.  You can contact me at jonathan@beerjudgeeducation.com.  Cheers

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 06:20:43 pm »
I am being offered the chance to just do the tasting, and others have suggested it is easier to take the tasting part by itself.  If I can keep the better score (which I've been told is the case) then I don't see why I a leaning towards taking the whole test again.  I have no aspirations about gaining a national rank but I could probably add a few points to my written score.  Plus I've always been one of those geeks who likes to take tests, and I have a week off at the end of the year to do a little cramming.  I'm still debating this though.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:22:41 pm by tomsawyer »
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 08:47:21 pm »
I am being offered the chance to just do the tasting, and others have suggested it is easier to take the tasting part by itself.  If I can keep the better score (which I've been told is the case) then I don't see why I a leaning towards taking the whole test again.  I have no aspirations about gaining a national rank but I could probably add a few points to my written score.  Plus I've always been one of those geeks who likes to take tests, and I have a week off at the end of the year to do a little cramming.  I'm still debating this though.

yeah you'll get 1 hour for the tasting, which is easy for judging 4 beers.  Now that you have some judging experience, you'll do great!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 08:50:38 am »
When I retook the tasting last year, I did worse than I did on the original test!   :-[
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jlap

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 09:11:15 am »
IME the key to the tasting part is not to over think it.  Cover all the aspects for each section that the score sheet prompts you for and try to use descriptive language.  Fill in the available space and try not to miss anything.  It depends a lot on whether you're going for a 70 or >80 I guess.  If only a 70, missing an off character like oxidation probably won't be fatal as long as your score is in line with the proctors.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 10:16:43 am »
I got a 70 on the written and a 60 on the tasting first time around, so I'd take a 70 on tasting.  Wouldn't mind giving myself some breathing room with a few extra points on the written.  I'm quite certain that I'm not yet at a national level, I've interacted with enough of them to know this.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO