Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for Ask the Experts suggestions  (Read 30913 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Re: Looking for Ask the Experts suggestions
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 11:13:22 am »
I would love to get some advice from Todd Haug of Surly Brewing on applying single-infusion mash programs across a wide range of styles. 

Why Todd?  I'm not contesting it, but I don't know him and wonder why he'd be good for the topic.

Todd is Surly's head brewer.  Surly only has a single infusion system, yet they produce German-style lagers (Surlyfest, Hell), as well as a wide range of ales. 
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 11:31:29 am »
Todd is Surly's head brewer.  Surly only has a single infusion system, yet they produce German-style lagers (Surlyfest, Hell), as well as a wide range of ales. 

Thanks!  I'll see what I can do!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 12:02:31 pm »
How about Sam Calgione. He's can lend some East Coast wisdom.  :)

What kind of topics, Ron?

I think he would generate a lot of interest. He's very creative and has a profound vision. He's also a huge advocate of craft beer in general. From his use of non-traditional ingredients to his more traditional IPA's, I think he would lend some good insight to the community.

Ron Price

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 12:35:46 pm »
I think he would generate a lot of interest. He's very creative and has a profound vision. He's also a huge advocate of craft beer in general. From his use of non-traditional ingredients to his more traditional IPA's, I think he would lend some good insight to the community.

OK, I'll look into it.  Generally, we ask them to take questions on a specific topic to make it a bit easier on them, but he may have an idea of what he'd like to talk about.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 12:50:25 am »
Another idea, although I may be the only one interested but I would love to hear what Lance Jergensen of Rebel Malting in Reno has to say about micro malting and the differences between maltings that target middle of the road mass market sales and those that have to find creative hooks to get business and stay in business.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 08:46:40 am »

OK, I'll look into it.  Generally, we ask them to take questions on a specific topic to make it a bit easier on them, but he may have an idea of what he'd like to talk about.

How to incorporate non-traditional ingredients would be a great topic for him. For the would-be nano brewers, he's also an ace at non-traditional (cheap) marketing. That's getting away from the homebrew focus, though.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2011, 03:45:20 pm »
Oops, posted in wrong forum. My apologies.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 08:50:58 am by kgs »
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2011, 07:08:38 pm »
I'd like to hear about someone who's an expert on no-chill fermentation.

Would also like to know more about pressurized fermentation.

Can't help you with names for either, sorry.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2011, 06:17:35 am »
After reading Alpha and Beta: War of Words Revisited in the last issue of Zymurgy's Dear Professor column, I would like to hear more from Dr Evans from the U of Tasmania. His research into starch degrading enzymes with respect to time temperature, mash thickness and enzyme levels seems to go into more detail than mash at 156F for more dextrins and 150F and below for more fermentable wort. Questions I would ask involve malt analysis and how to tailor it to a specific mash profile for a given result. It would be fun to take a house recipe and make different beers just by altering mash parameters.

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 03:39:55 pm »
I'd like to hear from someone about Cask Conditioning and Real Ale Techniques.  Alex Hall in NY is a local expert from here but I am sure there are others in the US and especially the UK.

Offline rshwayder

• 1st Kit
    • Mad Alchemist
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 07:36:09 pm »
Some of the things that really helped me out over the years...

- What are some low-cost solutions for greatly improving your beer?
- Brewing water, salts, and pH during the mash. How important are they? How do I get (and read) a water report?
- Alternative techniques to brewing. Brew in a Bag, No Chill, Etc.
- Fermentation. Is it possible to lager without a refrigerator? How important is temperature control? How long is too long in primary?
- To do or not to do--what have you learned NOT to do? Failed experiments, etc.
Ryan "Mad Alchemist" Shwayder
http://www.madalchemist.com/

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 08:21:37 am »
I've found lots of information on starting small scale breweries but very little about brewpubs.  What scale to brew on? What different licensing? How yeast pitching is handled, meaning is it more economical to buy large pitches of yeast? Those kind of things.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline CB-Illinois

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 08:50:10 am »
I (like punatic) would love to hear about the hurdles brewing commercially on a 20 gallon brew sculpture. 

Offline jakeamo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 02:29:07 pm »
I would like to see an A.T.E. with Chris White (White Labs). I think we all could think of billions of yeast related questions; comercial oxegenation methods, fermenter volume and esters and substitutes for traditional oxegenation. After reading "Yeast" the book, he has opened a pandoras box of yeast ideas and questions. I would also be interested in hearing about the WHITE LABS comany itself as well as their yeast and servomyces. Thanks

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 08:15:30 pm »
Another idea, although I may be the only one interested but I would love to hear what Lance Jergensen of Rebel Malting in Reno has to say about micro malting and the differences between maltings that target middle of the road mass market sales and those that have to find creative hooks to get business and stay in business.

There's a family in the San Luis valley in Colorado that malts. I'm not sure how big their operation is, but it's pretty young still and seems pretty small. It's called the Colorado Malting Company. I've bought some bags from the owner Jason and he seemed plenty friendly and knowledgeable. They're getting into malting gluten-free and weird grains (like teff) too, so he might be a good person to talk about malting your own grains. 
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.