Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewhemoth Brag  (Read 20560 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Brewhemoth Brag
« on: December 11, 2011, 02:22:59 pm »
Judged a homebrew contest sponsored by the St Louis Brews this weekend.  Its a tough job but someone has to do it.  Entered three beers, and managed a second place on a Flanders red.

Most importantly though, I won the grand prize in the raffle.  It was a Brewhemoth conical fermentor with all the bells and whistles.  We're talking a 22gal stainless steel conical (easily ferments a half barrel/15.5gal), tri-clamp version, with the internal cooling coil and the pressurizing attachment.  They even included the tri-clamp valves and hardware so it is completely ready to go. 

I was totally stunned when they read my number.  I've been a small-batch brewer but this system will let you brew 5gal just fine so it will see a lot of use.  I'm already ordering some extra hardware to explore closed-system pressurized fermentation, something I only learned about when I started looking at Brewhemoth threads on another forum.  I've also got a plan for temperature control with the chiller unit.

In any case, thanks to Josh and Dale for donating such a fantastic prize.  Enjoyed judging a round with Josh on Saturday, not knowing he was one of the guys running Brewhemoth.  The company is based in St Louis and the guys are award-winning homebrewers.  Go check out their website and be prepared to be jealous.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline james

• Brewer
Re: Brewhemoth Brag
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 02:49:15 pm »
Congrats, that's a great prize just for showing up and judging.  I've had a pair of them since earlier this year and haven't even put anything besides water int hem.  I'm almost to the point in my project of putting some beer in them though

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 03:18:02 pm »
Very cool!  Congrats, Lennie.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 05:04:01 pm »
This one won't sit empty for long, I've got plenty of malt and I'll start with an ale and the basement is already cool so I have great ambient temps.

Thanks Denny, I may pressure-ferment a BVIP this winter.  The BVIP that won the specialty beer category (see my post on Specialty Judging) was just excellent.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 05:34:37 pm »
Wow..congrats Lennie!

I'm sure you'll put it to good use.  :)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 05:49:36 pm »
Jealous. Nice score and being able to use it even better.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 06:51:51 pm »
Congrats on your good luck.  Excellent score!

You know you could always brew multiple batches to fill that bad boy up.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 07:01:17 pm »
Lennie, you will find that you like having a conical.  Great that someone who will put it to good use won it.  Congrats!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 07:26:04 pm »
Congrats on your good luck.  Excellent score!

You know you could always brew multiple batches to fill that bad boy up.
I'll definitely do a 15gal batch at some point this year just for fun.  I could probably do two mashes/boils with my system and come up with that amount.  I'll have to get help drinking the beer but I have a feeling there would be volunteers who would bring a keg by for a fill.  I have 400+ lb of malt in the basement so that won't be a problem either.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 07:29:48 pm »
Just wondering, but do you judge your own beer category in a case like this?

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 07:43:12 pm »
No, if you have entries you can't judge that style category.  There are 23 categories though so its usually not a problem unless you enter a whole lot of beers.  The only problem is if you enter categories you really enjoy, then you can't be assigned to judge those.  They will usually ask you what you want to judge, and sometimes you get one of those.

I entered in light lagers, amber lagers, and sours.  I judged German wheats, Belgian and French ales, and Specialty beers.  I liked the weizens, I have experience brewing those.  I also have experience with the Belgians but I'm not that big of a fan of the phenolic character anymore.  The Specialty category was all over the place.  I think the worst are the dark beers, 10 stouts and your palate is toast.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 01:38:52 am »
That's awesome Lennie, congrats!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 03:54:22 am »
I woke up early and decided to fill the Brewhemoth with hot water and PBW.  Its full to the brim, 22gal.  I opened the dump valve and the racking valve to get cleaner through them, that amount of head really makes the water shoot out with some force.

Now I just have to hope the water heater recovers before my wife wakes up and wants to shower.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 06:48:06 am »
Congratulations, that's awesome!  Definitely an excellent addition to the brewing equipment. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 08:51:28 am »
Just wondering, but do you judge your own beer category in a case like this?

Never.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell