Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Prioritizing Next Equipment Purchase  (Read 5880 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Prioritizing Next Equipment Purchase
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 10:31:14 am »
Depending on the faucet, you can get adapters that would allow you to hook on a typical hose-bib threading.  If not the kitchen (I know I can't do it with our current kitchen facuet) maybe the bathroom?

I think a chiller is a very good next step.  If not, what about aeration?  You could get one of the aquarium pumps or go with disposable oxygen bottles.

Stir plates are so easy to make I wouldn't buy one.

Does anyone sell water beds anymore?  The faucet adapter used to available at any store that sold water beds.  If those places don't exist anymore, Northern Brewer (as well as most other LHBS) has a brass version that works great.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline ChitownJT

• 1st Kit
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 11:28:12 am »
Once again, thanks for all the suggestions.  I brew with a couple of other guys and I think we're now going to go in on a used fridge and store it at one of their houses. My next solo purchase is looking more like a wort chiller, but if I can find a small enough footprint for a fermentation chamber I may go in that direction for my solo batches.

The three gallon all grain batch may not be a bad way to go. I've only got about six extract batches with specialty grains under my belt though, and I'm a bit apprehensive about moving to AG until I feel like I have my sea legs.
Thank God I married the daughter of a home brewer, otherwise this would be a lot more difficult.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 01:24:46 pm »
I just noticed you're in Chicago (I'm slow like that).

PM me if you like.  I'm in Edgewater.

I have one of those faucet adapters somewhere that I no longer need, but it served me will in my old apartments.  It's yours if you can use it (and if I can find it).

I've got extra rare earth magnets if you want to take a shot at building a stir plate.  Again, they're yours if you want them.  Google BYO's article on this, it's pretty easy.  I can't bring myself to part with any of my cigar boxes, but you can get those pretty easy.

I've also got an excess number of glass 5 gallon carboys and a variety of other odds and ends.  I'm sure we could work something out on these.  I keep moving them around because I can't figure out what to do with them.  But if your condo is tight on space you might not want my spare junk...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 01:39:14 pm »
Once again, thanks for all the suggestions.  I brew with a couple of other guys and I think we're now going to go in on a used fridge and store it at one of their houses. My next solo purchase is looking more like a wort chiller, but if I can find a small enough footprint for a fermentation chamber I may go in that direction for my solo batches.

The three gallon all grain batch may not be a bad way to go. I've only got about six extract batches with specialty grains under my belt though, and I'm a bit apprehensive about moving to AG until I feel like I have my sea legs.

I did about three extract batches then moved to 3 gallon all grain batches.  The method I use to do all grain is the batch sparge method similar to Denny's method (dennybrew.com).  Getting together the parts to make a mash tun cooler would be about all that you would need.  I got a 48qt rectangular cooler off Craigslist for $10 and put together the rest of it for about another $40 (Stainless steel braid, ball valve, etc...).  There is cheaper ways to do this also.  When I took on all grain, I asked a lot of questions on this board and received some great advice that helped me produce some great beers! 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 12:23:20 am »
When I ran a homebrew shop the biggest thing that people wanted/needed was a way to regulate fermentation temp as it is the hardest thing for homebrewers to control.  a small chest freezer outfitted with a temp controller works for the summer, you can find something online for usually 50 bucks.  as far as affecting your final product it is vital.  and not only will you be able to hold your ferm temp but you can also use it to cold crash your beer just like the pros.  A chiller is easy to make and usually cost about 30 bucks.  25' of 1/4 or 3/8 tubing fifteen feet of tubing and a 3/4 hose to barb fitting is all you need.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 02:30:29 am »
I have nothing to add except BEAR DOWN.
 8)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 02:35:07 am »
Jeeze, you guys are the biggest bunch of enablers I've ever seen!   ;)

+1 on temp control.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 11:53:37 am »
Jeeze, you guys are the biggest bunch of enablers I've ever seen!   ;)

+1 on temp control.

LOL. We don't want anyone giving up before they are well and truly hooked on this; they'll be deep into the obsession before they realize it! 8)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 12:34:47 pm »
+267000 on temp control. I got all my ducks in a row on the cold side first, went to full boil extract beers second, now I'm going to all grain.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa