Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How do yall buy grain?  (Read 14050 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
How do yall buy grain?
« on: December 11, 2011, 10:17:46 pm »
I just got 50 pounds of Rahr 2 row malted barley. Then I started looking at the cost of ordering various grains for different recipes. It is a lot cheaper just to buy the kits and modify from what I can see. How do you all buy your grains for different recipes?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: How do yall buy grain?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 10:23:55 pm »
I buy sacks of base malt, usually continental pilsner and marris otter, although I'm also working through a sack of 6-row I bought awhile back.  Then I just buy whatever quantity of other grains I need.  Buying the base by the sack definitely saves me money.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 12:57:03 am »
Yeah I buy base grain by the sack and everything else to order. I generally only buy organic ingredients so that limits my options as I have only found one place with a decent selection but I can get sacks of 2 row, american/canadian, british or german and all the basic specialty grains. I brew alot of partigyle brews so I am generally getting 20+ lbs of base grain for a recipe anyway and it's ussualy only 10 bucks or so more to get the whole sack.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 01:34:36 am »
I buy sacks of wheat malt, pils, Maris Otter, and pale, everything else is by the pound or five.

I'm confused how it could be cheaper to buy the kit and modify it, can you give us some numbers?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 02:09:24 am »
For cost savings any sort of base malt is best bought in bulk. Buy a pound or so of various specialty grains per your usage if you brew alot. Best to keep buying grain all the time or the weevils will pay a visit. ::)

On the flipside I can see the advantage in just buying per a kit recipe from the LHBS who will weigh everything out. No odd amounts of grain left over.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 08:46:59 am »
I buy sacks of wheat malt, pils, Maris Otter, and pale, everything else is by the pound or five.

I'm confused how it could be cheaper to buy the kit and modify it, can you give us some numbers?

I got a 50 pound bag of 2 row for just under $50 after tax and shipping at Midwest Supplies. Ok that is a good price. But if I want to do any recipes, Octoberfest for example. I need 5 pounds of Munich $6,  4 pounds of dark Munich. $6 for a 5 pound bag, $2 for a pound of caramunich at $2. At best shipping will be $7.99 through NB. That is $14 plus 8 for $22. I can buy all that in a kit plus hops and yeast for $19. Add the shipping and I get $27 in rounded figures. Plus 5 pounds of my grain at $1.10 and it works out cheaper to buy the kit.

That is why I am asking how you all buy your grain.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 08:50:31 am »
I buy bags of Rahr pale, and Best pils and Munich.  I split bags of C60, Special B, rye  malt, and a couple others with another guy.  I buy dark malts and other specialties locally as needed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 09:19:54 am »
It looks to me like my problem is not being able to buy locally. We do have a store but it is frequently not open during the hours posted. Then if by some stroke of luck I do catch them open they are sold out of almost everything because they rarely stock thier store. Instead of dealing with the frustration I do all of my business online.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 09:40:25 am »
I buy bags of Rahr pale, and Best pils and Munich.  I split bags of C60, Special B, rye  malt, and a couple others with another guy.  I buy dark malts and other specialties locally as needed.

you need to split bags of Rye Denny? thought you went through 50 pounds of that a month  ;D
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 09:45:55 am »

you need to split bags of Rye Denny? thought you went through 50 pounds of that a month  ;D

:D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 09:52:19 am »
Like a lot of others here, I buy my base malt in bulk.  I actually buy mine through a local brew pub.  They allow members of our homebrew club to buy grain from them at cost, and will even order bags for us if it is something they normally don't carry.  It's so much cheaper ($25-35/bag) for me than even buying bulk grain on line.  I then buy all the rest of my grain online by the 1lb or 5lb. 
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 10:19:28 am »
Like a lot of others here, I buy my base malt in bulk.  I actually buy mine through a local brew pub.  They allow members of our homebrew club to buy grain from them at cost, and will even order bags for us if it is something they normally don't carry.  It's so much cheaper ($25-35/bag) for me than even buying bulk grain on line.  I then buy all the rest of my grain online by the 1lb or 5lb. 
That's pretty much exactly what I do except the local brewpub(40 miles away) has a new brewer and he won't sell to homebrewers.  There's a homebrew club in Midland/Odessa Texas that has connection at a brewpub 300 miles away, a couple of times a year somebody from the club will go down there and pick up a load of base malts for the club members.
I buy specialty malts by 5 or 10 pound bags because there is no local store within 250 miles and I never know what I'm brewing next in time to actually plan.  I buy specialty malt from morebeer.com because of their free shipping for orders over $60.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 10:27:07 am »
I but my base malts (Maris Otter, 2-row pale,Pils,Munich and Vienna) by the sack at my LHBS or through North Country Malt. Specialty malts are purchased as needed at my LHBS. I usually have at least one sack of each of the base malts listed and an assortment of specialty grains on hand at all times.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 10:45:32 am »

I got a 50 pound bag of 2 row for just under $50 after tax and shipping at Midwest Supplies. Ok that is a good price. But if I want to do any recipes, Octoberfest for example. I need 5 pounds of Munich $6,  4 pounds of dark Munich. $6 for a 5 pound bag, $2 for a pound of caramunich at $2. At best shipping will be $7.99 through NB. That is $14 plus 8 for $22. I can buy all that in a kit plus hops and yeast for $19. Add the shipping and I get $27 in rounded figures. Plus 5 pounds of my grain at $1.10 and it works out cheaper to buy the kit.

That is why I am asking how you all buy your grain.
Where are you finding kits that include yeast and hops for $19?  The NB o-fest recipe I just looked up was $26+.

Anyway, I was going to suggest morebeer with their free shipping over $59 that corky mentioned above.  If you plan ahead a bit you can hit that number easily.  I usually don't have a problem getting there when I throw in a poppet here or a fitting there.

But if it still works out cheaper to buy the kits for you and modify them, then I might do that.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 11:18:57 am »
Where are you finding kits that include yeast and hops for $19?  The NB o-fest recipe I just looked up was $26+.

Not quite $19...But, close.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/all-grain-brewing/all-grain-recipe-kits.html