General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Failed at harvesting pacman.

(1/3) > >>

lupy:
I took the dregs from a couple of Rogue imperial 750ml's and tried to build them in a quart of wort :o
It doesn't seem to have worked. It's been about 36hrs on the stirplate with no signs of life. I plan to let it spin for another 24-36hrs just to see what happens.
If it doesn't work - no worries, but could I still use the starter wort for another, more viable yeast? I can't imagine the wort went bad but it must be terribly oxidized.

Beertracker:
Well... the good news is that you can always p/u a fresh packet from Wyeast if it doesn't culture.  :)

lupy:
Well that's no fun :(
I was hoping to harvest my own for a future barleywine........

beerocd:
Their Chocolate Stout has always been a winner for harvesting Pacman. (for me)
If you don't get anything from this one, it may have been that imperial part that makes it not harvestable.
I look for lower abv and lower ibu for beer to harvest from.

lupy:

--- Quote from: beerocd on January 19, 2010, 09:55:12 PM ---......it may have been that imperial part that makes it not harvestable.
I look for lower abv and lower ibu for beer to harvest from.

--- End quote ---
I thought that might be an issue. My luck with the yeasties and starters has been so impressive lately that I thought I couldn't fail. I was trying to harvest from a Younger's Imperial Special Bitter and an Imperial Porter that I received as gifts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version