Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bye, friend  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
Re: Bye, friend
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 03:02:18 pm »
Sorry to read that Kit, no doubt a staggering day on a couple levels.  I hope your son heals and recovers quickly and is able to appreciate the good in dogs later in life.

I will be sure to make an animal lover of him.
I can't imagine having a son that doesn't love canines.

Offline dawgdoc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 03:09:46 pm »
In my 11 years as a veterinarian, I have seen this many times, unfortunately.  In my experience, even with behavioral modification, there is always concern that it could happen again.  I know it must have been difficult, but you did the right thing in protecting your son.  It is a heartbreaking situation and I feel for you.  Hope your son is doing well.

Matt

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 03:12:18 pm »
You had to make a tough choice.  I feel for you.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 03:17:06 pm »
Sorry to read that Kit, no doubt a staggering day on a couple levels.  I hope your son heals and recovers quickly and is able to appreciate the good in dogs later in life.

I will be sure to make an animal lover of him.
I can't imagine having a son that doesn't love canines.

This is such a hard thing to do. I have been struggling to find a way to encourage you to make sure your son understands how to behave with dogs but I see that you don't need to hear that. I am so sorry that you had to make that choice and I hope that your son recovers well and learns to love and respect our long time partners in the years to come. I rescued a large powerful pitbull mix who had been seriously abused his whole life and I worried alot about this issue with him as my sister was still a baby at the time. I got lucky and he turned out to be one of the best dogs in the world around children. He wouild get into fights with other dogs at times although I never saw him start it and he would stop on my command even if it meant he got hurt but I can imagine how hard it would have been had he been a different dog. I wish we could go out and find the people that did this to these dogs and put them down. It seems like a so much more just solution.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 03:20:49 pm »
Thanks, to everyone for your kind words.

My guess is that abuse in the most formative stages of her life was part of the problem.
I think she learned behaviors that I was never able to train out of her, no matter how hard I tried.

You never really know.  From her point of view the 20 month old may have been a threat to her space.
It's such a sad story.  Sorry.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 03:37:29 pm »
Thanks, to everyone for your kind words.

My guess is that abuse in the most formative stages of her life was part of the problem.
I think she learned behaviors that I was never able to train out of her, no matter how hard I tried.

You never really know.  From her point of view the 20 month old may have been a threat to her space.
It's such a sad story.  Sorry.

What a tough thing to do.  You made the right choice. 

Pack animals, like dogs with rough beginnings, are likely to view a small child as being subordinate to them.  That's why it never happened with you there as you are the dominate male and you protect the young.  When you're not there with the pack, your son and dog in this case, were probably vying for top dog.  Unfortunately, neither one really understood the playing field and you can't really teach those subtleties to full grown dogs.

Take a few weeks to heal a bit and then get a puppy that can bond with the whole house.  You can't replace your friend but you can give your son many years of a new best friend to grow up with.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 04:32:48 pm »
Wow, really sorry this happened.  I wish it could have turned out differently but you did the right thing, never doubt it for a second.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 06:04:18 pm »
Aw man, that sucks. Your decision to put her down, as hard as it was, is the right one. A dog that bites is never worth having around, period.

A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 06:17:03 pm »
Sorry to hear of this sad news...it's an extremely painful decision. This type of behavior is totally unacceptable and you handled it bravely. I wish you and your family well. Good Luck.
Ron Price

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 07:12:36 pm »
Im so sorry man. That's a hard thing to have to do. You made the right call though.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 07:59:32 pm »
You did the right thing, I would have been so, so sorry to read a post you saying good bye to your son. You don't want to ever have to do that, trust me.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 10:17:35 pm »
When I was 5, we had a dog like that. I couldn't be in the same room when he was eating, or he'd try to bite me. He finally did one day, I got 7 stitches for it.  My dad had him put down before I even got home from the doctor. A few months later, we got a Collie, best dog I could've had growing up. You made the right choice, in an extremely difficult situation.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.