Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do I need to add fresh yeast at bottling?  (Read 3918 times)

Offline sdavis84

• 1st Kit
Do I need to add fresh yeast at bottling?
« on: November 28, 2011, 08:50:41 pm »
I recently brewed a high gravity ale (OG 1.08- FG1.012) using WLP001.  It was in primary for 3 weeks (62-68F), and I just racked to secondary(66F).  Knowing that wlp001 is pretty alcohol tolerant and moderately flocculant, if I bottle in 1-2 weeks, do I need to add fresh yeast to get carbonation?  Thanks for any advice!

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: Do I need to add fresh yeast at bottling?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 09:37:48 pm »
Im willing to admit I don't have a whole lot of experience, but I am pretty sure you are ok. for 1.080 to 1.012, you are looking at 9% alcohol. As far as I know, that is well within most alcohol tolerant yeast, and you should be fine to bottle with the yeast you have. If you are really worried, I doubt a gram of Safale-05 will really cause any problems.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 10:30:12 pm »
Yeah it's up to what makes you feel comfortable but there is almost certainly plenty of yeast left in suspension to carb up your beer. but it is also pretty cheap to toss half a packet of dry yeast in the bottling bucket.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 10:31:01 pm »
Like garc said, I think it'll be fine, especially since it hasn't been sitting around long.  Next time though, I'd go straight from primary to bottles a week or so after the gravity stops dropping.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:32:34 pm »
You will be fine.  If you feel the need to add some yeast before bottling you can add about a half pack of dry yeast to your beer at bottling time but you really shouldn't need to do that.

Happy Brewing,
Brandon

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 08:07:08 am »
I hope you will be fine!  I made a belgian dark strong ale, and after about 3 weeks in the secondary I bottled.  Been 2 weeks in bottles today.  We'll see!  I did not add any dry yeast, just went for it. 

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 12:19:26 am »
I hope you will be fine!  I made a belgian dark strong ale, and after about 3 weeks in the secondary I bottled.  Been 2 weeks in bottles today.  We'll see!  I did not add any dry yeast, just went for it. 
What did we see??
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.