General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Blowing off too much yeast?

(1/3) > >>

enso:
I brewed up 2 Belgian dark strongs on Monday.  One I could tell was going to need a blow off fairly quickly.  The other went about 30 hours with no appreciable rise in kraeusen.  I monitored it closely.  It did not seem to be in danger.  Sure enough in a matter of minutes while I was not watching it it blew its top!  I cleaned the mess and put on a blow off then went to bed.  This morning I found an even bigger mess with the blow off tube on the floor and tons of kraeusen, yeast... all over the fermenter and, fortunately, mostly contained in the water bath it was in.

Here is my concern.  It seems to be no longer actively fermenting.  I know activity is still going on but it is nowhere near as fierce as it was.  There was a ton of yeast in the bottom of the water bath when I cleaned it out.  Does the loss of this much yeast effect the fermentation and overall attenuation potential?

The reason I ask is something similar happened to me with a Belgian dark strong last year.  I lost a lot of yeast through blow off and it ended up not attenuating enough.  I suspected the yeast loss but just chalked it up to experience.

I am now making an emergency starter of some more yeast (wlp 530) to add back in and ramping the temp up a bit.

Anyone else experience this?

roffenburger:
What temp did you pitch and ferment at? I don't think you need more yeast. Did you make a starter? It might be a combination of high fermentation temps and overpitching. There is no way all the yeast was blown out.

Give us some more info on recipe, etc.

enso:

--- Quote from: roffenburger on January 20, 2010, 07:14:36 AM ---What temp did you pitch and ferment at? I don't think you need more yeast. Did you make a starter? It might be a combination of high fermentation temps and overpitching. There is no way all the yeast was blown out.

Give us some more info on recipe, etc.

--- End quote ---

Right, sorry.  I posted about it elsewhere so I forgot to mention the details here.

It was two beers from one mash.  I collected the wort in one kettle and then split it equally into two pots.  Each had the same grist but had different flavors.  The one that blew was a tangelo (zest) and chocolate flavored one.  The chocolate seemed to be keeping the krauesen down as I have observed in past beers with this ingredient.

I made a starter, approx. 1500 ml though I already had a huge slug of yeast as I had done a starter previously but had to abort brewing.  I would say I had about a cup and a half of slurry (350 ml) that I split between the two carboys.  Again, WLP 530 yeast.

I pitched at 66°F for both and was monitoring it and slowly raising the temp.  It is currently at 69/70°F and still letting it climb slowly.

O.G. on the mess (tangelo chocolate) was 1.078 the other was 1.070 (I will be adding additional fermentables to it in the form of pomegranate molasses when it slows down).  The latter is still kicking rather hectically.

enso:
Alright it just kicked back into action...   ::)

Still might add some yeast simply for insurance purposes due to my previous experience.

mikeypedersen:
Yeah that wlp530 is one of my favorite Belgian strains, but man does it ferment VIOLENTLY!  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version