Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A new trend...?  (Read 15280 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: A new trend...?
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 04:23:34 am »
I would think for the most part, cans were symbolic of the BMC beers, while bottles represented more of a craft beer feeling of quality.  Breweries like Surly have been breaking through that stigma.  Admittedly, bottles are more elegant IMHO.

Strangely, I've never had that mentality with Guinness draught widget cans.

Here in Italy, the mentality is that small bottles tend to be lower quality beer and 750 ml champagne bottles are higher quality beer.  That's not to say you don't find 33cl Chimay's, Leffes, etc, but for maketing it seems to be the case.  Most of the artisanal beers I see here are in 750ml's and most mass produced beers are smaller sizes like 0.5l and 33cl.

The light factor gives cans an advantage.  But yeah, I can't re-use cans for homebrewing.  Ultimately, I pour mine into a glass too, so as long as it's good beer ...  :)

Although can's aren't nearly as helpful in a bar fight.  :D

You've tried Grado Plato and San Gabriel right? I wondered why we could only get those in 750s.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 05:43:19 am »
The last few start-up breweries in Chicago are only canning. And the Revolution brewpub is working on a production brewery that will have a canning line. They did announce they're going to have bombers of some of their barrel aged beers, though.
Oh, what a happy day it will be when I see Eugene in a can! It's a long way to the pub for a growler.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 06:27:25 am »
The cost of cans has a couple of barbs.  For Sun King in Indy and other craft brewers, the biggest problem is that they can't just slap a new label on their stock of bottles when they want to push out a new seasonal or specialty.  They usually have to buy a gazillion cans printed with the new beer's labeling.  That makes it far less appealing to have a canning line if you want to be creative and put out small runs of beer.  In the case of SN, they have 5 beers that are constantly brewed and another 5 that have big enough production to use cans too.  

If I understand correctly, Sun King has been allowed by the ATF folks to create a generic Sun King can that they can apply another label with the actual beer's info.  That might make this can issue more appealing for craft brewers with smaller production.  I haven't seen any of these labeled cans on the shelves yet, so I don't know that its a reality.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 06:31:15 am »
If I looked in a cooler and saw my favorite craft beer in a can, I'd just look further. Glass for me, thank you.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 06:33:30 am »
Also, fermenting in the can?  It's been quite a few years since there has been yeast sediment on the bottom of my SN beers.  They are still bottle-conditioned?  (can-conditioned?)

Yes, Sierra still bottle conditions their beers. They have a warehouse devoted to bottle conditioning. It will sit out in the warehouse for a couple weeks before moving off to the store.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 06:44:35 am »
If I looked in a cooler and saw my favorite craft beer in a can, I'd just look further. Glass for me, thank you.

Why? Not trying to prod, I'm genuinely interested, as I'm trying to figure out whether to go bottles or cans right now. I slide between the two about once every two weeks.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2011, 07:12:57 am »

Why? Not trying to prod, I'm genuinely interested, as I'm trying to figure out whether to go bottles or cans right now. I slide between the two about once every two weeks.

When my tongue hits the edge of that can, all I taste is aluminum. Yes, I can pour it onto a glass and assuming the can is lined, then it won't be too bad, but I can still taste it. However, I've now ruined the convenience of having packaged beer.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2011, 07:14:13 am »
Our only instate small packaging micro brewery in Alabama has been in the can for going on 2 years now, and looks like another one of our local breweries is gearing up for canning coming this spring. I definitely don't think it is a "new trend" but one that has been gaining traction for years and years. I certainly never shy away from canned beer. As everyone else has mentioned, aside from freshness, the portability factor is awesome!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2011, 07:17:46 am »

When my tongue hits the edge of that can, all I taste is aluminum. Yes, I can pour it onto a glass and assuming the can is lined, then it won't be too bad, but I can still taste it. However, I've now ruined the convenience of having packaged beer.

OTOH if you are back packing in 8+ miles and you get there and want a beer it sure does become a convenience to actually be able to have one. No way I would ever pack in glass, but cans I do all the time.  :)

That said, I still believe there is a prestige factor that is lost in cans. And bottle openers can be b****in' cool. And opening a corked belgian style bottle is a ritual I always enjoy.

yin and yang all around I guess.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2011, 07:19:17 am »
As everyone else has mentioned, aside from freshness, the portability factor is awesome!

Portability is my main attraction to the cans. I hate that when I go golfing I can't buy a "good" beer on the golf course because they have to be in cans. Now I can get a few cans of torpedo on the course and maybe even Two Hearted this coming year  ;D

http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/index.ssf/2011/03/bells_brewery_inc_to_install_c.html
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2011, 07:59:50 am »
As everyone else has mentioned, aside from freshness, the portability factor is awesome!

Portability is my main attraction to the cans. I hate that when I go golfing I can't buy a "good" beer on the golf course because they have to be in cans. Now I can get a few cans of torpedo on the course and maybe even Two Hearted this coming year  ;D

http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/index.ssf/2011/03/bells_brewery_inc_to_install_c.html

You have no idea how happy you have just made me.
Two-hearted, on the golf course.
Almost brings a tear to my eye.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2011, 08:38:03 am »
are you saying that they can condition? or are you talking about empty cans? I can see how the cans require preasure inside to contribute to the structure though. makes sense.

They can, bottle, and keg condition most of their beers, especially the pale, Celebration, and Torpedo.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2011, 08:40:22 am »
Also, fermenting in the can?  It's been quite a few years since there has been yeast sediment on the bottom of my SN beers.  They are still bottle-conditioned?  (can-conditioned?)

I thought the same thing, so I asked when they brought it up.  Yes, they bottle (and keg) condition almost everything.  It gets partially force carbed, then filtered, and a fresh dose of yeast is added at packaging.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2011, 10:08:59 am »

And opening a corked belgian style bottle is a ritual I always enjoy.

+1

I think the mystique of a corked Belgian is definitely inviting. Bottle conditioning is a unique process that may not be able to be reproduced in the can.

Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2011, 11:15:57 am »

For me, it comes down to three letters... BPA.  And yeah, I've read all the arguments about how much you'd need to ingest to have issues but why ingest any when I have a choice?
Joe