Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing a Maibock......  (Read 1867 times)

Offline jimbob

• 1st Kit
Brewing a Maibock......
« on: December 14, 2011, 06:44:48 am »
I am planning on brewing a Maibock on Monday.  My question....is today too early to make my yeast starter?  My plan is to make the starter today, let it go on the stir plate until Sunday then chill until Monday.  I will decant the wort then pitch the yeast.  Thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Brewing a Maibock......
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 06:56:34 am »
Its not too early, assuming your yeast is fresh and viable. My personal preference when brewing a bock is to start out with a 1.050 helles or pils to grow yeast though, since you will need a lot of yeast. See the pitching calc at www.mrmalty.com to make sure you lager starter is big enough.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 07:01:47 am »
I am planning on brewing a Maibock on Monday.  My question....is today too early to make my yeast starter?  My plan is to make the starter today, let it go on the stir plate until Sunday then chill until Monday.  I will decant the wort then pitch the yeast.  Thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

Sounds like a good plan.  +1 in making sure you have a big enough starter.
Dave Zach

wildknight

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 07:26:50 am »
You can also do two rounds of a starter as well.  Let the yeast go 24 hours, chill on Friday.  Add fresh wort on Saturday and let go 24 hours, then chill on Sunday.  Decant your liquid and pitch into your beer on Monday.  If you are worried about cell counts, then make your starter with two vials or packs to begin with. 

Offline jimbob

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 09:39:22 am »
You can also do two rounds of a starter as well.  Let the yeast go 24 hours, chill on Friday.  Add fresh wort on Saturday and let go 24 hours, then chill on Sunday.  Decant your liquid and pitch into your beer on Monday.  If you are worried about cell counts, then make your starter with two vials or packs to begin with. 
That's the plan.  Thanks for the input.

Offline jimbob

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 09:41:26 am »
Thanks for the ideas and suggestions everyone.  I will try to keep you up to date on the progress.