Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Holiday Ham tips?  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Holiday Ham tips?
« on: December 14, 2011, 11:39:52 pm »
A friend of mine produces some wonderful locally grown, hazelnut fed hams. I've never prepared a ham before but I was fortunate to pick up a 7.5 lb. boneless this year.  I've seen many a mouthwatering display of culinary prowess on this forum so I was hoping some of you might offer some suggestions on how you would prepare this beauty for family and friends.  I don't have access to a nice smoker so it will have to be oven baked.  At this point I'm leaning towards using a turkey pan with a rack, orange juice beneath the rack, pineapple rings pinned to the sides and apples in the open space. Baked until it hits 140*F internally and rested 15 minutes. Thoughts?  Anyone ever done a honey-baked ham? I'd love to hear some ideas. Thanks!   
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: Holiday Ham tips?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 02:49:25 pm »
Is the 'ham' you're going to cook cured or fresh?

If it's cured, I think you're on the right track (although make sure you don't use fresh pineapple...it will turn the meat to mush wherever it makes contact; canned pineapple won't present such issues).

If the ham is fresh, I think I'd probably just stud it liberally with garlic and roast it simply and very slowly.   
Roasted fresh pork is one of my favorite things...in reality, it's probably the ONLY thing that ever kept me from going vegetarian.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Holiday Ham tips?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 12:51:20 am »
Yeah there's two paths here. But roasted sounds good. I'd hate to lose that hazelnut essence by covering it up. Salt and pepper baby. Maybe some rosemary and garlic studded about the roast.

Alton Brown has a great recipe.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis