Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Things Picking Up in the Carolinas  (Read 19340 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Things Picking Up in the Carolinas
« on: December 14, 2011, 04:24:22 pm »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Things Picking Up in the Carolinas
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 04:31:15 pm »
Hmmm.  I'm not sure I'm a fan of that.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 04:46:47 pm »
I think that as long as they can maintain their standards it's really good from an environmental standpoint. It means that for the eastern seaboard the SN doesn't have to be shipped all the way across the country. major reduction in carbon footprint. Even if the ingredients are still shipped there from chico, just not having to ship the packaging is a major reduction in cost and environmental impact.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 04:50:47 pm »
Dr. T, what would be the drawback?

Hopefull they will duplicate their current operation and keep the quality to the same standards.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 05:10:30 pm »
I guess it depends on how far it goes.  I just worry when breweries become macro in size that their products will be macro in quality.  It signifies a shift in how the business is operated, and it might not be for the better.  It might be awesome, but it already IS awesome, so in this case I fear change.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 05:34:07 pm »
I guess it depends on how far it goes.  I just worry when breweries become macro in size that their products will be macro in quality.  It signifies a shift in how the business is operated, and it might not be for the better.  It might be awesome, but it already IS awesome, so in this case I fear change.

Agreed.

But this area is an un-tapped market and I'm sure that is what they are looking at. There are several craft breweries that have been established in the past few years and they have done very well; R.J. Rockers and Thomas Creek to name two within 30 miles of here and they are balls-to-the-wall with sales. This is in an area where Coors light used to be concidered gormet beer and when they came out with Bud Light with Lime, well, it was described as Heaven on Earth <shudder>.

The job market here (upstate SC and western NC) is booming and new companies are locating here by the droves because of cheap labor and easy access...I-26, 85, 20 & 40...crossing the landscape along with the ports of Charleston, Savannah & Wilmington and the GSP and Charlotte airports. Not to mention the climate  :) USC, UNC, Chappel Hill, Mars Hill,Clemson, Wofford and Converse College, etc.. are located here also.

This has brought folks from all over the country and along with them a taste for the better stuff.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 06:15:54 pm »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 06:22:37 pm »
A little east coast presence would boost the business IMO...as long as they uphold their current standards...that's the key to their success. Quality beer is the secret ingredient.
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 08:11:53 pm »
I guess it depends on how far it goes.  I just worry when breweries become macro in size that their products will be macro in quality.  It signifies a shift in how the business is operated, and it might not be for the better.  It might be awesome, but it already IS awesome, so in this case I fear change.

I hear you tom. I worry about the same thing but I think of SN as a pretty huge brand already and the quality and willingness to experiment seems to still be there. I guess we will have to wait and see.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 12:49:34 am »
IF they stay focused on the beer for the long term I'm sure it will be ok.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 01:07:24 am »
Starting to sound a bit like west coast elitism...

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 01:16:01 am »
I have no idea where you get that from.

I would much rather see one or more smaller east coast breweries grow to fill the need than to have a larger company come in from anywhere and do so.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 01:17:44 am »
The big boys consistently brew the same lackluster beer all over the country. Which is quite the challenge as I'm led to understand. I'm sure SN can do better. But wondering as to the how. Grain source. Hops brought in. Water challenges.

Demand all taken care of.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 01:47:27 am »

I have no idea where you get that from.

Oh I don't know...   maybe it's the 48 point font

Water challenges?  Really?
Transporting fresh ingredients?  How in the world can anyone on the east coast ever have a prayer of brewing a fresh beer?   ::)

Pretty weak euge.

As much as I dislike AB products, I think they are an excellent example of maintaining consistancy in their products across a WIDE region of brewing.  I would challenge anyone to be able to discern differences in their beers produced at any of their breweries nationwide.

I think if there are any microbreweries capable of pulling off a simular feat, Sierra Nevada would certainly be at the top of the list.

Jeeze guys, such cynicism!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:51:32 am by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 01:52:59 am »
No I'm being realistic and brainstorming about what might be their challenges. What's so cynical about that?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis