Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Things Picking Up in the Carolinas  (Read 19337 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Things Picking Up in the Carolinas
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 10:26:34 am »
I foresee a reduction in quality, if this happens.

Why?  One thing I learned at beer Camp is that quality is what they value above everything.  Add in the fact that it's a sole proprietorship, without board or stockholders to satisfy, and it would seem that they have the best possible situation to maintain a quality product.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 10:27:23 am »
One of the things they stressed to us was that the places they were looking at had similar water chemistry.

This is a significant consideration IMO.
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 10:33:06 am »
IF they stay focused on the beer for the long term I'm sure it will be ok.

and that's a big if. :D

That is some bold font right there.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 10:44:34 am »
There is a budweiser plant less than 75 miles from Golden Colorado, I wouldn't worry about SN affecting local craft breweries. SN DFH and SA are merely stepping stones to the true craft breweries.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 10:46:01 am »
I foresee a reduction in quality, if this happens.

Why?  One thing I learned at beer Camp is that quality is what they value above everything.  Add in the fact that it's a sole proprietorship, without board or stockholders to satisfy, and it would seem that they have the best possible situation to maintain a quality product.

I second this. If it's one thing I took away from the beer camp it's that they are very conscious about their product and who is drinking it. They take pride in the fact that they are brewing the best beer possible. I think that if they thought this would jeopardize the quality of their product, they just wouldn't do it.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 10:53:51 am »
That sucks if they changed their mind and decided to plant it in the carolinas. Nothing out there but huckleberry and hillbillies.  :P

I take exception to that comment, good sir. >:(

Come on man. I'm in ALABAMA. Make all the jokes you want. Besides I happen to love huckleberries and have plenty of hillbillies in the family.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:05:20 am by majorvices »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 11:09:37 am »
I guess it depends on how far it goes.  I just worry when breweries become macro in size that their products will be macro in quality.  It signifies a shift in how the business is operated, and it might not be for the better.  It might be awesome, but it already IS awesome, so in this case I fear change.

They talked quite a bit about this when I was at Beer Camp a month back.  There's no way they aren't going to grow, so you might as well get over that fear, Tom!  Thia is the most logical way for them to accomplish that.  It's lees expensive and more eco-friendly (in keeping with their philosophy) than shipping beer across the country.  Let's face it, SN is a business and as such wants/needs to keep growing.  Based on what I've learned about the company and their mindset, I'm much less worried about expansion from them than a company like, say, Ninkasi.

I'll give you wants but there is this attitude that a business must keep growing andI have never gotten a solid reason why. If I am in business and I have a solid customer base which is replentished at replacement levels why do I need to keep growing? particularly if it's not a public company. Now I will concede that if demand conintues to rise and I can meet that increased demand without compromise why NOT continue growing which I suspect is more the attitude of a SN. But take snapple. when I first started drinking snapple it was only available in health/natural food stores and it was amazing. the cream soda was one of my favorite drinks as a kid. then they grew and became the corn syrup sweet glop it is today. but they HAD to grow right?

okay rant over! ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2011, 11:12:50 am »
I guess it depends on how far it goes.  I just worry when breweries become macro in size that their products will be macro in quality.  It signifies a shift in how the business is operated, and it might not be for the better.  It might be awesome, but it already IS awesome, so in this case I fear change.

They talked quite a bit about this when I was at Beer Camp a month back.  There's no way they aren't going to grow, so you might as well get over that fear, Tom!  Thia is the most logical way for them to accomplish that.  It's lees expensive and more eco-friendly (in keeping with their philosophy) than shipping beer across the country.  Let's face it, SN is a business and as such wants/needs to keep growing.  Based on what I've learned about the company and their mindset, I'm much less worried about expansion from them than a company like, say, Ninkasi.

I'll give you wants but there is this attitude that a business must keep growing andI have never gotten a solid reason why. If I am in business and I have a solid customer base which is replentished at replacement levels why do I need to keep growing? particularly if it's not a public company. Now I will concede that if demand conintues to rise and I can meet that increased demand without compromise why NOT continue growing which I suspect is more the attitude of a SN. But take snapple. when I first started drinking snapple it was only available in health/natural food stores and it was amazing. the cream soda was one of my favorite drinks as a kid. then they grew and became the corn syrup sweet glop it is today. but they HAD to grow right?

okay rant over! ;D

As a small brewery owner I can say that I would like to actually cap production at some point to keep the brewery small. I agree with you exactly - why do you have to keep growing? Is it to keep from being swallowed by a bigger player? I just don't get it.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2011, 11:19:14 am »
...SN DFH and SA are merely stepping stones to the true craft breweries.

Whaaaaa???
Sierra Nevada IS a "true craft brewery".
In truth, it's one of the better ones. 
And if they are committed to maintaining the quality (as I'm certain they are) they'll still be a great "craft" brewery even if they eventually build five new plants.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2011, 11:24:10 am »
Shareholders. They want to see a company grow.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2011, 11:28:34 am »

The shareholder is the Grossman family.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2011, 11:29:02 am »

But SN has no shareholders (or just the family as Mike points out).  As to why they want to grow, why not?  Increased wealth aside, they might have motives like serving more customers better, or being able to provide more benefits to more employees.  I'm just speculating, but that's the kind of company they seem to be.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2011, 11:37:14 am »

One of the things they stressed to us was that the places they were looking at had similar water chemistry.

Nah, when I was talking with Steve Dresler a few months ago, he mentioned that they are fully on RO at the Chico facility.  They build all their brewing water up from RO.  I suggested that they do want to try and find a location with decent water anyhow to reduce the loading on the RO membranes.  He was not concerned with that.  They are looking for the local that will give them the best deal. 

PS: the firm I work for does SN's wastewater and energy reduction engineering.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2011, 11:40:41 am »

Nah, when I was talking with Steve Dresler a few months ago, he mentioned that they are fully on RO at the Chico facility.  They build all their brewing water up from RO.  I suggested that they do want to try and find a location with decent water anyhow to reduce the loading on the RO membranes.  He was not concerned with that.  They are looking for the local that will give them the best deal. 

PS: the firm I work for does SN's wastewater and energy reduction engineering.

Thanks, Martin.  I was aware of that, but they also mentioned to us that they were looking for similar water.  Could be that the person who told us that was misinformed, or maybe just a matter of interpretation.  But you provided valuable info here!

And having seen their wasterwater and energy reduction efforts, let me say GOOD JOB to you and your company!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2011, 11:46:29 am »

Damn them shareholders!  Occupy Chico! 
(just messin with ya euge).

Water chemistry can be whatever you want it to be.  It just may add expense to make it that way.

IF they stay focused on the beer for the long term I'm sure it will be ok.

and that's a big if. :D

That is some bold font right there.  ;D

Reminds of True Grit when Ned Pepper says, to Rooster Cogburn, "I call that mighty bold font...."

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907