Author Topic: Things Picking Up in the Carolinas  (Read 9354 times)

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
    • View Profile
Re: Things Picking Up in the Carolinas
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2011, 12:03:53 PM »
...SN DFH and SA are merely stepping stones to the true craft breweries.

Whaaaaa???
Sierra Nevada IS a "true craft brewery".
In truth, it's one of the better ones. 
And if they are committed to maintaining the quality (as I'm certain they are) they'll still be a great "craft" brewery even if they eventually build five new plants

They are no where near as good, not even remotely close to a dozen "craft" breweries in San Diego alone. While they do make decent beer, they are big time macro  and approaching 1 million barrels a year. While I thoroughly enjoyed them 20 years ago, there were only a couple alternatives, unlike today.

Offline euge

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2011, 12:04:26 PM »
I foresee a reduction in quality, if this happens.

Why?  One thing I learned at beer Camp is that quality is what they value above everything.  Add in the fact that it's a sole proprietorship, without board or stockholders to satisfy, and it would seem that they have the best possible situation to maintain a quality product.

I was just assuming that they were incorporated. Is the company owned by a single person?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2011, 12:06:03 PM »

One of the things they stressed to us was that the places they were looking at had similar water chemistry.

Nah, when I was talking with Steve Dresler a few months ago, he mentioned that they are fully on RO at the Chico facility.  They build all their brewing water up from RO.  I suggested that they do want to try and find a location with decent water anyhow to reduce the loading on the RO membranes.  He was not concerned with that.  They are looking for the local that will give them the best deal. 

PS: the firm I work for does SN's wastewater and energy reduction engineering.

Another thing they're looking for in the water is consistency year round. If in the summer time the water jumps to 80 degrees F and in the winter it's 50F then they have some major obstacles they have to deal with.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2011, 12:06:33 PM »
That sucks if they changed their mind and decided to plant it in the carolinas. Nothing out there but huckleberry and hillbillies:P

I take exception to that comment, good sir. >:(

why are you a huckleberry?

Err...as a native of this locality, I have to say Major is mostly correct.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2011, 12:07:30 PM »

Why?  One thing I learned at beer Camp is that quality is what they value above everything.  Add in the fact that it's a sole proprietorship, without board or stockholders to satisfy, and it would seem that they have the best possible situation to maintain a quality product.

I was just assuming that they were incorporated. Is the company owned by a single person?

From what I understand it's pretty much the Grossman Family that has full control. They may not own 100% but they have control. Denny can add if he knows more, I can't remember everything  :)
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2011, 12:19:42 PM »

Another thing they're looking for in the water is consistency year round. If in the summer time the water jumps to 80 degrees F and in the winter it's 50F then they have some major obstacles they have to deal with.

Water temperature is not a problem.  It is easily adjusted.  Unless they build in a location where only brackish or seawater is available (concentrate disposal issues), water quality will not be a major factor.  Water chemistry can be whatever you want it to be.  Some water is more expensive than others, that's all.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2011, 12:27:25 PM »
That sucks if they changed their mind and decided to plant it in the carolinas. Nothing out there but huckleberry and hillbillies:P

Yeah. I thought it was a compliment!  ::)
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2011, 12:43:53 PM »

Yeah. I thought it was a compliment!  ::)

I did too. We have a long line of heritage to uphold :D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2011, 01:15:14 PM »
Don't they have a pub in DC?  To me there is a big difference between a pub and a production brewery.  I don't really want a DFH pub here either though. ;)

DFH has pubs in Gaithersburg MD, Falls Church VA, and Chantilly VA.  And you're right Tom, those are just pubs (they call them "Alehouse"s) and not brewpubs
Joe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2011, 03:26:32 PM »
As a small brewery owner I can say that I would like to actually cap production at some point to keep the brewery small. I agree with you exactly - why do you have to keep growing? Is it to keep from being swallowed by a bigger player? I just don't get it.
I'm with you on this, even if it means I never get to have a Yellowhammer.  Although I'm sure I will at some point. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Online morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2011, 03:48:17 PM »
...SN DFH and SA are merely stepping stones to the true craft breweries.

Whaaaaa???
Sierra Nevada IS a "true craft brewery".
In truth, it's one of the better ones. 
And if they are committed to maintaining the quality (as I'm certain they are) they'll still be a great "craft" brewery even if they eventually build five new plants

They are no where near as good, not even remotely close to a dozen "craft" breweries in San Diego alone. While they do make decent beer, they are big time macro  and approaching 1 million barrels a year. While I thoroughly enjoyed them 20 years ago, there were only a couple alternatives, unlike today.

'Craft' is not a descriptor of quality, simply of style. It is true that there are lots of breweries out there making better, or at least more interesting, beer than SN but they are still WAY better than shocktop or blue moon and more craft at that rate.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2011, 03:52:56 PM »

AFAIK, Ken Grossman is the single owner.  They kept stressing to us that the reason he could go out and buy a composter with a 20 year payback, for instance, was because he didn't have to answer to a board or stockholders.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Online morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2011, 03:58:50 PM »
[AFAIK, Ken Grossman is the single owner.  They kept stressing to us that the reason he could go out and buy a composter with a 20 year payback, for instance, was because he didn't have to answer to a board or stockholders.

This is a really good point. It's not so much the expansion of the business that endangers quality as the expansion in the number of people with a say in things. If you have a single owner who is dedicated to certain ideals then it is much less likely to see a degredation in quality. In that case another brewery should actually increase the quality of the product in the (now closer) areas that brewery serves. But all to often, in order to expand, a company will take on more investors who want to see return on that investment and corners get cut to materialize that return.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2011, 04:02:15 PM »
[AFAIK, Ken Grossman is the single owner.  They kept stressing to us that the reason he could go out and buy a composter with a 20 year payback, for instance, was because he didn't have to answer to a board or stockholders.

This is a really good point. It's not so much the expansion of the business that endangers quality as the expansion in the number of people with a say in things. If you have a single owner who is dedicated to certain ideals then it is much less likely to see a degredation in quality. In that case another brewery should actually increase the quality of the product in the (now closer) areas that brewery serves. But all to often, in order to expand, a company will take on more investors who want to see return on that investment and corners get cut to materialize that return.
That, and Ken and his team aren't going to be able to do a good job of overseeing production in two plants on opposite sides of the country.  As long as he puts the right people in charge in NC, with the same vision, it will be easier to do so.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2011, 04:37:58 PM »
As long as he puts the right people in charge in NC, with the same vision, it will be easier to do so.

Maybe I should apply for a job 8)