Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Nice Rice  (Read 11187 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Nice Rice
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 01:46:07 am »
When I do brown rice I like to toast it up real good in a dry pan. You'll hear and smell it. That splits the bran and it cooks in about 25 minutes and is really fluffy.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 01:46:56 am »
mmm, sounds like something to try :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 02:05:21 am »
My wife loves brown rice.  My son and I tease her about eating shreaded cardboard (although we secretly like it too... wink wink).
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 05:55:41 am »
What does it do that you can't do in a pot on the stove or in the oven?

It allows you to put on a pot of rice and FORGET about it. 6 hours later, there's non-burnt rice ready to eat and no boil over on the oven and no smoke in the house. I also use it in the mornings to make oatmeal - "porridge" setting. A cookbook came with mine, there are many settings, many recipes besides just "rice" - I can even bake a cake in mine.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 06:00:33 am »
I just bought 25 pounds from the White Lands Recovery Project(nativeharvest.com)  It's so much better than the Reese paddy grown "wild rice" available in the stores, and I could eat it every day.

Did you buy qty 25 of the one pound packages, or is there a bulk option somewhere? $4/lb is pretty good.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 06:09:42 am »
I just bought 25 pounds from the White Lands Recovery Project(nativeharvest.com)  It's so much better than the Reese paddy grown "wild rice" available in the stores, and I could eat it every day.

Did you buy qty 25 of the one pound packages, or is there a bulk option somewhere? $4/lb is pretty good.
I think it's $8 for the half pound bag, but we got 2 plastic bags with 10 pounds and a 5 pounder for $12/pound.  Some of it will be Christmas gifts for my family.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 06:33:00 am »
Been reading about rice cookers and they are very simple in nature. They initially boil the water and continue  to do so until the water has been all but evaporated. The temperature in the pot will then rise because of the reduced water.  This signals via a thermostat, that the water is gone and the cooker then shuts off.

I don't want another appliance to deal with, so my idea is this. Put the water/rice mix in a heavy SS pot with a lid. Stick a temperature probe (remote reading) into the mix and set the oven temp temp to somewhere around 225-250. Set the alarm on the temperature monitor to around 220. The crack developed by the lid will allow steam to escape and commercial cookers do have a vent. When the alarm goes off, turn off the oven an let it rest for a while. You might be able to remove the pot at this point and cover it with a towel to keep the temp from dropping so rapidly.

I think it will work and rice being as cheap as it is, testing won't cost much. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2011, 08:18:53 am »
My wife loves brown rice.  My son and I tease her about eating shreaded cardboard (although we secretly like it too... wink wink).

Brown rice is the only kind we eat.  Even with Gumbos and in Jambalayas and such
Joe

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2011, 09:17:22 am »
I've been cooking rice in a 2 qt saucepan for as long as I can remember, not that I have anything against rice cookers or anything, but I usually take 2 cups of Basmati or other long grain rice and rinse it 2-3 times and drain. Then add 3cups of water into the sauce pan over the rice with a splash of oil or butter and 1tsp salt. Heat the rice to a boil then reduce heat and cover for 20 min. Turn off the heat and remove from the burner. Allow the rice to rest for 5min and serve. Perfect rice...every time without fail.

It seems so easy to me I don't understand how people think its hard.

I do 2 parts water - bring to boil - add 1 part rice - reduce heat as low as possible for 20 minutes - rest 5 minutes - fluff and serve. Never fails!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2011, 10:14:18 am »
When I do brown rice I like to toast it up real good in a dry pan. You'll hear and smell it. That splits the bran and it cooks in about 25 minutes and is really fluffy.

and if you don't add water after toasting, let it cool and pulverize it you have yummy brown rice hot cereal ready to go! just add milk and honey and simmer for a couple minutes
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2011, 07:40:54 pm »
I think it's $8 for the half pound bag, but we got 2 plastic bags with 10 pounds and a 5 pounder for $12/pound.  Some of it will be Christmas gifts for my family.

Ha, I totally read that wrong - I just put 10lbs in my cart for $125 and then shipping too.  :o
Prime Rib is on sale for $6/lb this week around here...  ::)

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2011, 12:05:50 am »

Brown rice is the only kind we eat.  Even with Gumbos and in Jambalayas and such

Brown rice does add nice complexities to gumbos, jambalayas, etouffee...  but it really sucks for sushi, musubi, loco mocos...   ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2011, 12:00:20 am »
My method is not the same as I see here.  I have littonware microwave
cookware and I just put water in the pan and the level does not matter....
using basmati rice (not even rinsed) I cover the bottom of the pan with
1/8 inch (approx) of rice then move my rice "pour" to the center of the
pan and continue pouring until the rice mound breeches the surface of
the water level....whatever that level may be...1 inch, 2 inches, 3 inches etc....
as soon as the rice breaches the surface of the water level, stop pouring...
shake the pan to level the rice....sprinkle salt to taste...then
microwave UNCOVERED...for 8 mins or so....beeeeeeeeeep....
check the rice, if the water is cooked down below the level of the top
of the rice, COVER the pan then cook for 2-3 mins longer ( if not, cook
a few more microwave mins until the water is below the surface of the rice)
.....fluff / stir the rice and recover the pan to let the steam work and set aside......
8 more mins it will be finished and at the correct temp to serve. So about 16 mins
to finished rice. Superheated water does a job on rice grains.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:06:20 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2011, 12:31:38 am »
It takes the same amount of time in the micro- if that's all you got then you still can have perfectly cooked rice. http://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Aids-Microwave-Rice-Cooker/dp/B00011R41Q

However all that steam has to go somewhere; thought cooking rice in the microwave was kinda messy so I abandoned the approach after about 5 goes at it. I used a ceramic dish with lid- it would rattle like crazy and spray rice goop...

That is an interesting approach to measurement. I will have to tty it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis