Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Helles smells like Play-Doh  (Read 4645 times)

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
Helles smells like Play-Doh
« on: December 20, 2011, 01:50:44 pm »
I have an unusual aroma in a helles that I recently made  I would describe it as Play-Doh or possibly wet flour (like bread dough before the yeast begin to rise.  I have never come across this smell before and I have made this recipe 3 other times.  In this case there were some strange things that happened on brew day because I was fiddling with my process a bit but fermentation went as expected.

Details:
10 gallon batch
95% Pilsner, 5% Munich, 19.5 IBU's from pearle at 60 min , .5oz hallertau at 15min

Shooting for 1.048 OG but ended up with 1.054 (efficiency of 82% due to process changes was higher then expected)

Yeast - repitch of wlp 830 from a 6% oktoberfest, pitched at 46 raised temp 1 degree per day to 50 and fermented for a total of 4 weeks.

final gravity is 1.008 (6.03%ABV) - in previous batches with old process FG was 1.011 for 4.85% ABV.  Fermented in Morebeer cooled conical.

The slightest bit (maybe a few ounces) of star san might have been sucked through the blowoff into the beer (10 gallon batch)

Anythoughts on the play-doh / wet flour aroma?  Thanks guys.

James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Helles smells like Play-Doh
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 01:54:05 pm »
Wow, never heard of that. Trying to think back to childhood play-doh eating binges...

salt and, like you said wet flour. I don't think it was the star san.

Is it clear? my very first thought was uncoverted starches but your OG-FG doesn't seem to hold that out.

No real idea.

**EDIT** doesn't seem likely but is it possible you are smelling autalysis? brothy, meaty mushroomy smells? umami
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 01:54:24 pm »
My first thoughts would be unconverted starches.
But, you appear to have attained proper conversion...So, Hmmm...
Maybe the presence of some fatty acids?
Strange...Very strange.

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 01:59:17 pm »
The beer is crystal clear and even though I got efficiency in the 80's I still did an iodine test out of force of habit.  I am wondering if it has to do with the maltster.  The pilsner is Best Malz (first time I've used it - usually use weyerman) and the munich (only 5%) is a light belgian variety.  Both were sacks that I purchased so I know they were fresh.
James Lorden

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 02:16:48 pm »
I prefer Best to Wyermann. I don't think it is the malt. Sounds like a yeast smell to me if you think of it as "bready".

Someone mentioned autolysis. That is a possibility.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 02:27:20 pm »
I was thinking "yeasty" as well. What did you not from the flavor? Is there any diacetyl?
Ron Price

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 02:47:02 pm »
Diacetyl is a week spot for me, but I don't detect it.  Based on the pitching rate, the temperature control, and the length of time in contact with with yeast after fermentation had completed - if there is diacetly...there shouldn't be ;).  I would also point out that this beer is not a failure, it's still pretty good.

Autolysis is an interesting idea (although this doesn't remind my of the "classic" descriptions).  This was only my second generation with this pitch.  It did sit in a 36 degree refridgerator for about a week before being repitched - but I've gone longer then that with this yeast before.
James Lorden

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 03:05:19 pm »
Is it still in the fermenter? is it in secondary? I guess depending on where you're at in the process, could not be 'finished' yet... maybe a D-rest?
Phoenix, AZ

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 12:44:34 am »
Wow, never heard of that. Trying to think back to childhood play-doh eating binges...

I don't have answer but would like to say I was always partial to glue.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 07:30:41 am »

Eating or sniffing?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 07:44:31 am »

Eating or sniffing?
And glue sticks, or liquid?
Mark Gres