Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Foamy keg?  (Read 2324 times)

Offline cfleisher

• Cellarman
    • Brews Reporter
Foamy keg?
« on: December 15, 2011, 03:56:42 pm »
I just kegged my third beer and, for whatever reason, it's super foamy. Force carbonation and I used the same process as before. Basically 30 psi over night, and then 10 psi after that. Still, all I get is foam coming out of the tap. Anybody have experience with this?
Primary: Grapefruit IPA
Secondary: Berliner Weisse

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Foamy keg?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:58:01 pm »
What temperature is it at?  How long is your line?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:59:42 pm »
It sounds over carbonated.  There could also be an obstruction or dirt in the line, at the faucet, or at the poppet that would cause foaming.  Look at the line and see where the foam starts.

Another thing to try is to turn the gas off, vent the keg, then put on just enough pressure to get beer at the tap and see if you get a decent pour.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 04:00:22 pm »
Any chance a bit of hop pellet or other detritus might be getting in the flow somewhere and causing the foaming?

Or different, more foam inducing ingredients (Like wheat) that were not in your earlier batches?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 05:35:42 pm »
Sounds overcarbonated. You will need to vent the keg for a few days up to a week.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline cfleisher

• Cellarman
    • Brews Reporter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 05:53:53 pm »
Definitely a chance for an obstruction -- I threw 2 oz. of whole leaf hops in the keg for dry hopping. Should I go in an pull them out?
Primary: Grapefruit IPA
Secondary: Berliner Weisse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 10:02:12 pm »
I would do the following -

Remove the dip tube,clean and sanitize it.  Make sure there are no particles trapped at the poppet or the faucet.  As long as you have it apart, clean and sanitize that stuff too.

Attach a filter of some sort to the bottom of the dip tube when you put it back in.  It will be kind of a pain since the keg is full and you'll probably end up dunking your hands in there, so make sure they are clean or wear gloves.  You can either rack to another keg or just serve with the filter in place.

Next time you want to dry hop in a keg, use a hop bag.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 11:37:47 pm »
Definitely a chance for an obstruction -- I threw 2 oz. of whole leaf hops in the keg for dry hopping. Should I go in an pull them out?

Next time don't carbonate and then transfer to another keg after the "dry-hop" period has passed. A keg screen probably wouldn't hurt.

For now vent the keg completely and do as Tom says but also take apart the plastic quick disconnect since stuff can get hung up in there too. I run some plastic line from the yard-edger to run a swab through my dip-tubes. They sparkle. :) If everything checks out or particles removed try just replacing everything with no bag. You might get lucky and have some good pours that'll make room for your hand.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis