Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegerator Build  (Read 13011 times)

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
Kegerator Build
« on: December 15, 2011, 08:29:02 pm »
Here are some pics from my 5-tap kegerator build.  The kegerator has been operational for a few months, but I just finished designing a logo and had a sign printed. I used a new Kenmore 11.7 cu ft freezer and built a collar as most do.  I decided to go with a new freezer to avoid having potential issues with buying used. Yes, I know many of you have had sucess with used freezers, but I have bad luck with stuff like that. 

The collar is 2"X8" pine with a 1"x10" oak outer sheath.  The outer sheath rises about 1/4" above the inner collar, and hangs down 1.5" below the top of the freezer.  I built the 2x8 part to be exactly the width and length of the freezer so that the outer sheath would fit snugly. 

I cut the collar a little shorter than 2x8 so that the lower screews of the freezer lid hinges would fit into the upper holes on the freezer, with just the upper screws in the collar. I thought the added stability would be worth the lost of ¾” of depth.   

I used Minwax pre-stain wood conditioner, stained it with  Minwax WoodFinish red chestnut, and Minwax Helmsman spar urethane to help prevent rotting from condensation.  Wood was all glued and screwed together, then two more coats of the urethane were applied.  I used a roll of rope caulk between the top of the freezer and the bottom of the collar.

Holes for the faucets were drilled with a drill press.  I am still deciding what to do for tap handles, but it works fine without them for now.  Rbower’s tap handle project with the magnetic labels looks like a pretty good idea, so I may do something like that. 

Anyway, I can fit 6 kegs plus the CO2 tank inside with room for bottles (or a half keg in the future) on the hump.  A 7-way spitter allows me to keep all 6 kegs on tap, plus an extra hose for jumping beer, pushing santizer, filling bottles, etc.  Used Perlick faucets and a Johnson Temp Controller, which is mounted to the wall.  The kegerator sits in my laundry room which is about 10' away from my couch/recliner and TV!

Finished product!!

I designed the logo myself from scratch with Adobe Illustrator (used the free trial).  I took a photo of my own hand and stylized it with the software for the label.  It is printed on vinyl and has a hard plastic backing.  Also had a few 5”x7” stickers made to put on stuff like my truck window, kegs, etc. 
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: Kegerator Build
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 09:11:04 pm »
that really looks nice.  not overly complicated and still very stylish
Don AHA member

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 09:29:51 pm »
Well done sir!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 11:39:39 pm »
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 12:40:33 am »

Very cool.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 07:31:14 am »
Nice work. All of a sudden, "doing laundry" doesn't sound so bad.
Mark Gres

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 08:02:36 am »
I like your manifold.

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 09:04:57 am »
Very nice! Your stained wood looks great. You're going to enjoy it while folding clothes!

After I finish the the rest of the plumbing mine will be done.

Bruce

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 09:32:34 am »
Thanks everyone!!  As with most homebrewing projects, it was a lot of fun to build, but is even more fun now that it's finished.  It's funny, I have a 28 year old washer and dryer but don't mind dropping $800 to build a kegerator. ;D At least my priorities are in order!
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 12:03:24 pm »
Nice, I particularly like the hinge mounting trick.  Sounds like a good idea
Joe

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 09:01:01 pm »
Very clean build...congrats!  8)
Ron Price

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 01:48:28 pm »
Nice.......just don't confuse the keezerator and the dryer...... ;)
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....