Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My First Homebrew!  (Read 7421 times)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: My First Homebrew!
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2011, 06:59:30 am »
I just picked up a keg shell which I'll be turning into a brew kettle this weekend.  The last part to my all grain set up is the propane burner and then it's on to my all grain venture!

Mash tun? What approach are you going to use? Chances are we can help you with this. ;)

Thanks!  A few weeks ago I picked up a Rubbermaid 48qt rectangle cooler off Craigslist for $10.  Using what I read on this board, I installed a ball valve and stainless braid manifold.  I tested with about three gallons of water @ 160 degrees for an hour and it only lost two degrees.  I plan on doing batch sparging.  Still not sure if I will or if I need to do a mash out, but I'm looking forward to adding a few more hours to my brew day!  Any tips or advice would be awesome!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2011, 07:56:28 am »
I just picked up a keg shell which I'll be turning into a brew kettle this weekend.  The last part to my all grain set up is the propane burner and then it's on to my all grain venture!

Mash tun? What approach are you going to use? Chances are we can help you with this. ;)

Thanks!  A few weeks ago I picked up a Rubbermaid 48qt rectangle cooler off Craigslist for $10.  Using what I read on this board, I installed a ball valve and stainless braid manifold.  I tested with about three gallons of water @ 160 degrees for an hour and it only lost two degrees.  I plan on doing batch sparging.  Still not sure if I will or if I need to do a mash out, but I'm looking forward to adding a few more hours to my brew day!  Any tips or advice would be awesome!
Have you checked out www.dennybrew.com?
Mark Gres

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2011, 03:06:44 pm »

Have you checked out www.dennybrew.com?

Thanks!  A lot of great info there.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2011, 08:25:45 pm »
Just wanted to chime in and say that you have one fine looking IPA back there on page one!
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197