Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Red Rye Recipe Question  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Nagel Family Brewing

• Cellarman
Red Rye Recipe Question
« on: December 15, 2011, 08:00:14 am »
I have an adapted recipe for an Hoppy Red Rye Ale that is inspired by Jamil's Westcoast Blaster. My recipe is as follows

7.0 2row
3.0 Rye Malt
1.0 Munich
1.0 C60
0.5 C120
0.5 Victory
0.1 Chocolate

1.0 Horizon 13.0AA @60
1.5 Cascade @15
1.5 Cascade Steep
1.0 Cascade Dry Hop
*I may blend some Citra with Cascade additions.

WY1056

I have brewed this with 10 lbs of 2 row and loved it.  I wanted to try it with rye (similar to a smaller version of the Red Velvet recipe that won the Pro-Am).  I also thought about adding 8 oz of Special Roast.  I am curious what everyone thinks about how much difference 8 oz of Special Roast would make in this malt bill.  Would it push the roast/toast a little to far for the IPA-style hopping?  I also am a big fan of Avery's Old Jubilation which has me tempted to do the Victory Special Roast Combo.  Just not sure if it will be more than I want given all the malts in this one.  Just looking for some opinions before I finalize my recipe.  It is always so hard not to add one more malt or hop.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Red Rye Recipe Question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 08:24:14 am »
I wouldn't add it.  You've already got plenty of specialty grains in there.  Too many and you won't really get the effect you're looking for from the Rye as it'll be masked by the extras.
Joe

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 12:53:27 pm »
I wouldn't add it.  You've already got plenty of specialty grains in there.  Too many and you won't really get the effect you're looking for from the Rye as it'll be masked by the extras.

+1  If you add too many specialty grains the flavors can get muddled.

Offline Nagel Family Brewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 07:25:55 am »
I didn't add it.  Man that runoff smelled amazing yesterday!