Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch sparge mash tun: Coleman X treme vs Igloo Marine and importance of size  (Read 8459 times)

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
This has probably been discussed a million times  :-[ but ....  ;D

In looking into all grain I'm looking for a cooler to do batch sparging (a la Denny).

Right now it looks like my options would be between a Coleman Xtreme or an Igloo Marine (both rectangular) and was wondering if there are any issues with one or the other (for me the Igloo would be cheaper).

I'm also wondering about the size.  If I plan on doing 5 gallon batches, maybe even some "big beers" (high gravity) in the future, what would be good a good size to look at, so that I'm not kicking myself for either having too much head space to not be able to easily keep a steady temp, but to not worry about having too small a size to deal with bigger grain bills.
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
This is what I have (and they deliver to you)
http://www.amazon.it/o/ASIN/B000G64I1A?tag=betteraddons-20

Blue isn't as good as red, though, and really, with the models you mention, the color is the most important thing. Red = faster conversion.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Size doesn't matter.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Blue isn't as good as red, though, and really, with the models you mention, the color is the most important thing. Red = faster conversion.

Blue makes better beer.  ;D

I've used my BLUE Coleman cooler for milds (1.036) and bigger beers (1.105+) and it's worked fine each time.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:51:56 am by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
I have two Coleman extremes.  I use a 36 qt for most beers and I use a 52 qt for high gravity (1.100+) beers.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
I use a redigloo 52 qt cooler, and it makes beer every bit as good as those blue ones...  Seriously though, I can make session beers and high gravity beers with the same cooler, all for 5 gallon batches.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
I have two Coleman extremes.  I use a 36 qt for most beers and I use a 52 qt for high gravity (1.100+) beers.

Red or blue?
----

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
----

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!

Blue makes better beer.  ;D

I've used my BLUE Coleman cooler for milds (1.036) and bigger beers (1.105+) and it's worked fine each time.

+1, I just made a 1.033 with 7 lb of grain with normal 1-2* loss and I have maxed it out with ~30 lbs at 2qt/lb for a 1.105/1.032 partigyle. it's a 72 at extreme. (blue)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
I don't think either of the models you mention will make a difference.  Look for the one with the lowest drain that will drain the most completely.  70 qt. is a good size.  I have a 48 qt. which maxes pout at 10 gal. of 1.050 beer or 5 gal. of 1.100.  And even that is hard to manage.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbarber

• Brewer

Red or blue?

Silly question....blue.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
[sigh], all the ones I was looking at where white  ;)

Thanks for the input guys.  Yeah, I know this is sort of a RDWHAHB type question, but better safe than sorry.

This is what I have (and they deliver to you)
http://www.amazon.it/o/ASIN/B000G64I1A?tag=betteraddons-20

Thanks for the link, Phil, that is much better priced than Italian ebay.  8)

I guess I'm still trying to understand how to predict the volume of mash you'll end up with depending on a recipe.
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Get the darkest color you can get. It's hides the stains.

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
I don't think either of the models you mention will make a difference.  Look for the one with the lowest drain that will drain the most completely.  70 qt. is a good size.  I have a 48 qt. which maxes pout at 10 gal. of 1.050 beer or 5 gal. of 1.100.  And even that is hard to manage.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-75-Quart-Cooler-With-Wheels-Iceberg-Blue/13848700
Perhaps a Blue 75 qt Coleman cooler with wheels to make brew-with-a-friend days or transferring and dumping grains easier?

I use the 82 qt Coleman Extreme for 10 gallon batches.  It works well but I do find that, with thinner mashes or step infusions, it is easy to fill it to the brim, especially on the high gravity brews (>1.080).  I'd recommend the 100 qt (or higher) coleman cooler for higher gravity brews if you're doing 10 gallon batches.