Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lagering on the yeast  (Read 3155 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Lagering on the yeast
« on: December 16, 2011, 08:41:36 am »
Through bad planning on my part, and a lack of drinking on my wife's part, I have a lager that's ready to be racked but nothing to rack it into.  I was expecting to have a free keg by now but I've been away working and not drinking enough.

So, if I put this in the cold room (32-34F) without racking it off the yeast, how long do you think it would last?  I'm gonna have a keg after Christmas but will it hurt anything until then?  I know it won't be as clear as it could be if I rack it closer to serving time (I have to serve it Jan 7 - not my original plan) but otherwise is there a problem?  Does yeast autolysis happen slower when it's cold?  It's been about 3 weeks since I made it.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Lagering on the yeast
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 08:45:22 am »
RDWHAHB! a couple of weeks is not going to hurt anything particularly at colder temps. Tom S recently posted about a carboy he 'lost' in a closet for a year. no worries.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 08:45:39 am »
Through bad planning on my part, and a lack of drinking on my wife's part, I have a lager that's ready to be racked but nothing to rack it into.  I was expecting to have a free keg by now but I've been away working and not drinking enough.

So, if I put this in the cold room (32-34F) without racking it off the yeast, how long do you think it would last?  I'm gonna have a keg after Christmas but will it hurt anything until then?  I know it won't be as clear as it could be if I rack it closer to serving time (I have to serve it Jan 7 - not my original plan) but otherwise is there a problem?  Does yeast autolysis happen slower when it's cold?  It's been about 3 weeks since I made it.

You're fine. I've kept lagers and ales on yeast at around 50F for several weeks. Your lower temperature will allow you to go even longer.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:16:51 am »
+1.  RDWAHAHB!
Dave Zach

Offline mattc

• 1st Kit
  • Cold filtered,frost brewed,triple hopped...blah,bl
    • Beaconhills Brewhouse Weblog
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 01:09:03 pm »

I personally have never had any trouble with autolysis. I have a Maibock that I brewed back in Sept and have had it in primary since. Of course it has been sitting at 34 F for about 3 or so months now,with no ill effect. In fact I believe its one of the best beers I have ever brewed at least in recent memory.You certainly are not going to hurt the beer by letting it sit a few extra weeks, if anything it will do it some good and allow the yeast to further clean it up from primary. No worries.
Read a good beer blog: www.beaconhillsbrewhouse.org
Traditional Brewing: Reinvented

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 06:34:16 am »
Should clear up nicely.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 07:06:16 am »
i let a vienna sit on primary yeast for 3-4 months. no sweat.
Don AHA member

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 07:40:49 am »
No worries. Actually Dan Gordon of Gordon Biersch fame recommends lagering on the yeast as a standard practice. The yeast continues to clean the beer and will continue to flocculate while lagering. Allow the beer to lager on the yeast for a month. Just drop the temp slowly to at least 40F preferably 34F.
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 08:55:29 am »
Should clear up nicely.

hey oscar! long time no post! how's it going? been winging all over the world I assume
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 12:04:33 pm »
Should clear up nicely.

hey oscar! long time no post! how's it going? been winging all over the world I assume

Yes busy working......Still brewing though. British IPA and a Belgian strong on tap. Kölsch and Imperial Stout in the fermenters.
Just tasted a VERY nice Chouffe Bock in Amsterdam......
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....