Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BB Sanitized. Time Limit?  (Read 4219 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BB Sanitized. Time Limit?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 06:29:48 am »
The usual rule of thumb is to clean when done.  And sanitize before use. 

These are "sanitizers" not "sterilizers" so there will be bugs left behind that can start to reproduce before your next use.

You guys are spot on and I was being lazy.  This is a great point Tom.  Thanks for the smack in the back of my head everyone!   :)
Dave Zach

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 06:34:01 am »
I still sanitize my kegs and fermenters right after cleaning, but I stopped doing it with Iodophor.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 04:53:25 pm »
I sanitize and charge my cornies with CO2 before putting them up for storage, leaving a little sanitizer in the keg (I vent a little through the out post to suck up sanitizer through out tube).  Then when it is ready for use, I simply vent it and pop the top and rack into the remaining CO2 as a layer that rides above the beer as it is filling.  I rarely re-sanitize, but have done so when the keg sat for an unduly long time or if there is any question about the seal holding during storage.

I always resanitize my fermenters before using, since none of them have been held under CO2 during storage.

So far, so good.

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 09:14:03 pm »
The usual rule of thumb is to clean when done.  And sanitize before use. 

These are "sanitizers" not "sterilizers" so there will be bugs left behind that can start to reproduce before your next use.

Yes, and thank you for understanding the process and not wasting time or sanitizer.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 09:20:23 pm »
I sanitize and charge my cornies with CO2 before putting them up for storage, leaving a little sanitizer in the keg (I vent a little through the out post to suck up sanitizer through out tube).  Then when it is ready for use, I simply vent it and pop the top and rack into the remaining CO2 as a layer that rides above the beer as it is filling.  I rarely re-sanitize, but have done so when the keg sat for an unduly long time or if there is any question about the seal holding during storage.

I always resanitize my fermenters before using, since none of them have been held under CO2 during storage.

So far, so good.

Cheers.

This is exactly what I do and I've had no sanitation issues to date.