Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My kingdom for a Wisconsin IPA  (Read 9950 times)

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
Re: My kingdom for a Wisconsin IPA
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 04:41:00 pm »
obviously beer tastes are a matter of opinion. i believe a lot of it has to do with where you are raised. or at least where you cut your teeth on good craft beer.

I agree Hop Stoopid is enjoyable. The bubblegum (juicy fruit?!?) hop aroma is great. and a bargain in my area.

I find most of New Glarus beers to be excellently balanced and quaffable. Enigma has got to be one of the best beers ever made on this or any other planet.

Did I mention that beer tastes are a matter of opinion. That statement about Enigma is a fact. Like the Weekly World News prints facts...

If you can't find an IPA in Wisconsin you like, make one. Just please don't say there are no good beers in the Midwest. I know you didn't say that. What forum are we on?!?

What is my favorite beer? the one in my hand... which happens to be an American IPA that I made.........
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 04:53:27 pm »
i've never had a Tyranena beer i enjoyed...
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
BJCP Certified

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 07:54:57 pm »
Is Enigma by New Glarus? I have not had it. I live in the northwoods and finding good selection is brutal. I am brewing an IPA on Monday so I can have what I want. I did not say the midwest beers are not good. However I do believe the west coast uses hops better. Port, Stone, Rogue, Pike, Elysian, Iron Horse and Deschutes are amazing breweries on the west coast when it comes to hops. Just the best.

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 08:03:09 pm »
i love well hopped beers also.

i also like to judge a brewery by their portfolio. i think Stone sucks. Deschutes is one of the best. Sierra Nevada is my overall favorite. again, this is all just my opinion.

living where you do- in the Northwoods of Wisconsin- is geographically beautiful, but craft beer challenged for sure.

Enigma is a sour beer now in the Unplugged series at New Glarus. meaning he makes it when he feels like it. Maybe every couple of years.
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
BJCP Certified

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 08:24:00 pm »
i love well hopped beers also.

i also like to judge a brewery by their portfolio. i think Stone sucks. Deschutes is one of the best. Sierra Nevada is my overall favorite. again, this is all just my opinion.

Krusty, I would not get a beer based on his reccomendation. In fact I would go in the opposite direction most likely, tastes certainly vary, and the best thing to do is see what someones opinion of beers you like and dislike are and ascertain whether they can reccomend something for you. The cuisine and beer is definitely different across the states. Just my opinioin

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 08:41:27 pm »
I will check Enigma out. I like sour beers from Naked city in Seattle, Russian River and others. I have to say that I am shocked someone could like sierra nevada over stone. Stone is not in my top ten breweries but is far superior to sierra nevada in my opinion.

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 08:47:54 pm »
. I have to say that I am shocked someone could like sierra nevada over stone. Stone is not in my top ten breweries but is far superior to sierra nevada in my opinion.

Absolutely, couldn"t agree more. 

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 08:51:59 pm »
another thing we can all be thankful for this time of year. we are all entitled to our own opinions...

if disagreeing about our favorite breweries is as bad as it gets for us, then we are eternally more blessed than most of the world!

cheers...
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
BJCP Certified

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 09:01:03 pm »
 :o true enough, cheers.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2011, 02:19:50 am »
I will check Enigma out. I like sour beers from Naked city in Seattle, Russian River and others. I have to say that I am shocked someone could like sierra nevada over stone. Stone is not in my top ten breweries but is far superior to sierra nevada in my opinion.
To me it depends on what you're looking for.  Of the beers we get in WA, the SN beers are more drinkable by far, but the Stone beers are typically more interesting.  Both are excellent breweries (for breweries that aren't in WA ;) )
Tom Schmidlin

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2011, 06:47:06 am »
   Of the beers we get in WA, the SN beers are more drinkable by far, but the Stone beers are typically more interesting.  Both are excellent breweries (for breweries that aren't in WA ;) )
[/quote]

Just as a box of white zin is much more drinkable but far less interesting than a bordeaux. You can't drink stone and be up at 1 in the morning ;)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2011, 02:55:44 pm »
A wise man penned this back in 2005 about Enigma, ignore the beer reviewing site fluff... ;)
The beer poured into the chalice almost clear golden medium amber with an off-white head which rose tall and fell very slowly to lace the glass.

The aroma was a melding of oak aroma and bourbon. Neither aroma was overpowering and both worked well together. Behind that was a light fruitiness which was hard to distinguish between cherry or raspberry.

The flavor was fruity and slightly sour, or better termed as acidic. The flavor was distinctly cherry, but more subdued than say Cherry Tart (Wisconsin Belgian Red), much more. The cherry flavor was tempered with oak that finally finished out as a bourbon, but was only subtle, never overdone.

The finish was dry and crisp with lasting cherry which transformed on the palate in the finish to oak and later to light bourbon. The body was medium and the carbonation was spot on.

This beer, probably one of the few released from the brewery was worthy of asking about if you ever visit. Most bourbon beers are overdone and perhaps overrated, but this one is subtle and sublime. A mix of fruit beer and bourbon and a wonderful way.

Purchased for $10 in 2003 at the brewery on a private tour prior to Great Taste of the Midwest, unlabeled with only a gold crown cap on a green 750 ml bottle. At least 12 other people purchased a bottle(s). I wish I had another bottle, and had been waiting for the right moment to open this one. It should have been stored for even longer and a more special occasion, but today seemed like the day. The reason was GT tickets went on sale today even though I will not be able to attend this year.

Wood and Barrel-aged Beers: 2003 Silver Medal GABF, 2004 Bronze Medal GABF.

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
  • Mill Creek Brewery, Temptation Rd
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 06:29:48 am »
Give Hopdinger a go, it's from Oso brewery in Stevens Point. Marc and Katina
own and run the Point Brew Supply also. Their tap room has 40 beers on tap.
Hopdinger is bottled with a couple hop cones in each bottle.
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2011, 11:38:50 pm »
Just as a box of white zin is much more drinkable but far less interesting than a bordeaux. You can't drink stone and be up at 1 in the morning ;)
Wow, you're calling SNPA boxed white zin?  Damn. :-\

And I'm pretty much always up at 1 AM, Stone has never changed that.  Btw, the 11/11/11 Vertical Epic is more interesting than SNPA, but doesn't taste as good.  That one missed the mark.  Better on tap than in the bottle though. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2011, 11:55:49 pm »
...Btw, the 11/11/11 Vertical Epic is more interesting than SNPA, but doesn't taste as good.  That one missed the mark.  Better on tap than in the bottle though. ;)

I had a bottle last week. Clever but I also thought they missed it. Liked the chile but not the cinnamon. I can see why they went that way though. Earthy.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis