Author Topic: Tapping a Keg Of Guinness  (Read 110 times)

Offline JoePan

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Tapping a Keg Of Guinness
« on: December 10, 2018, 04:31:06 PM »
I just got a Kegerator. I want to pour Guinness Stout and I purchased the Nitro Regulator and the keg coupler from Kegerator. Where would I purchase a 20 cu. ft Nitro tank for this process? How much should I expect to pay? What is the proper Pressure I should set the regulator at? I was told I can use CO2 but after drinking many a pints in Ireland I prefer to try to keep the experience as original as possible.
thank you for your help on this one.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Tapping a Keg Of Guinness
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 05:20:33 PM »
I just got a Kegerator. I want to pour Guinness Stout and I purchased the Nitro Regulator and the keg coupler from Kegerator. Where would I purchase a 20 cu. ft Nitro tank for this process? How much should I expect to pay? What is the proper Pressure I should set the regulator at? I was told I can use CO2 but after drinking many a pints in Ireland I prefer to try to keep the experience as original as possible.

You want beer gas, a CO2/nitro mix, rather than straight nitro.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KellerBrauer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bottoms Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:34:29 PM »

+1 denny

I might be mistaken, but I believe a special faucet is needed also.  As far as the gas, you might find the gas at a welding supply shop.  Or, you might try asking your local beer distributor.
All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. :-)

Offline goose

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:21:16 PM »

+1 denny

I might be mistaken, but I believe a special faucet is needed also.  As far as the gas, you might find the gas at a welding supply shop.  Or, you might try asking your local beer distributor.

Yes, you need a special faucet to dispense beer on beer gas.

Regarding purchasing beer gas, my local welding shop will fill cylinders of it for me.  You just need to tell them the mixture of CO2 to N2 which I don't recall at the moment. They will fill it by weight.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified
AHA Governing Committee Member