Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer engine VS Nitro  (Read 1066 times)

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
Re: Beer engine VS Nitro
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2024, 12:37:21 pm »
I think you are gonna love it. The cask breather is well worth the $65 investment. Also, I highly recommend the "cask widge" that allows you to use the cask straight up and down as opposed to on its side. It's far superior to the side configuration.

https://www.casksupply.com/34-BSP-Thread-Flexible-Ale-Extractor-Firkin-Size_p_188.html
So I will be serving out of a corny keg with about 2-4 psi of pressure on it, I myself at home can’t get through 5 gallons of beer in a week. My wife and I both love our beer but that’s a recipe for some failing livers lol. Trying to extend the life of the beer. I do plan on purchasing some bag in box bags, to try out. I see over in UK they are very popular for at home cask ale on engines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use the cask widge in my corny kegs.  Perfect size and it is a weighted floating dip tube.  Much better than the pure floating ones.  Here is the cask widget and silicon dip tube compared to a corny keg dip tube

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2024, 12:39:31 pm »
Yes, that is correct. But with the faucet it doesn't take hardly any co2 to get the proper effect since you are relying on forced oxidation for the foam. Still, I'd say you have maybe 10-14 days tops before you need to swap it out. Mine has never lasted that long so not sure exactly.
With the cask breather your beers will last the same amount of time as traditional keg beers since air never touches the beer. Do it all the time!

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2024, 01:42:19 pm »
So the beer engine is just a manner to dispense your beers.   Where the magic happens is that beer engines require lower co2 levels.  What this does, in combination of a higher serving temp is you get a bunch more flavor out of your beers.   

Personally I disdain big OG high alcohol beers for one I can only have a couple before I want to take a nap.   Another reason is all I taste is sweet.  I like beers with a dry finish my personal opinion.  Now serving a 1.060 + beer on an engine would be the absolute worst for me anyway

CO2 also adds to perceived bitterness take a coke Pepsi 7up exc and shake the snot out of it to release the co2.  Ungodly sweet. 

So with lower co2 beers you can reduce the OG and still get wonderful flavors esp when served in the low 50s. 

I mainly brew my pales with US citrusy hops.  I love mosaic and have brewed multiple 1.040-45 beers that pack tons of flavor when compared with higher OG higher carbed beers.   Again personal preference

So the engine simply enables you to serve beers with reduced CO2 levels.  I tried duplicating this with a standard setup prior to getting my engines and could not get the same flavor profile. 

Hope all this is helpful.   It is something that really enjoy as well as sharing with others. 

Feel free to ask as many questions once you get your system.  I am not familiar with the 365 engine just the Angram as that was all that was available when I purchased mine

« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 02:15:35 pm by HEUBrewer »

Offline mtevans

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2024, 02:38:37 pm »
So the beer engine is just a manner to dispense your beers.   Where the magic happens is that beer engines require lower co2 levels.  What this does, in combination of a higher serving temp is you get a bunch more flavor out of your beers.   

Personally I disdain big OG high alcohol beers for one I can only have a couple before I want to take a nap.   Another reason is all I taste is sweet.  I like beers with a dry finish my personal opinion.  Now serving a 1.060 + beer on an engine would be the absolute worst for me anyway

CO2 also adds to perceived bitterness take a coke Pepsi 7up exc and shake the snot out of it to release the co2.  Ungodly sweet. 

So with lower co2 beers you can reduce the OG and still get wonderful flavors esp when served in the low 50s. 

I mainly brew my pales with US citrusy hops.  I love mosaic and have brewed multiple 1.040-45 beers that pack tons of flavor when compared with higher OG higher carbed beers.   Again personal preference

So the engine simply enables you to serve beers with reduced CO2 levels.  I tried duplicating this with a standard setup prior to getting my engines and could not get the same flavor profile. 

Hope all this is helpful.   It is something that really enjoy as well as sharing with others. 

Feel free to ask as many questions once you get your system.  I am not familiar with the 365 engine just the Angram as that was all that was available when I purchased mine

I do appreciate all of your input, thank you! I will give updates and post a pic once I get mine set up

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2024, 03:36:02 pm »

I do appreciate all of your input, thank you! I will give updates and post a pic once I get mine set up

You will find the cellaring part to be the most challenging.   You will not be able to prime or force carb ( please don’t!!!!!!) and serve.   You will need a routine to get the right amount of CO2 in the beer.  I have my routine to get the right condition. Is that the best way, probably not but it works and I get nice consistent condition in the glass. I have thought about getting a spunding valve to help with conditioning but never did though I still may

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2024, 06:08:06 pm »
I just finished my 2nd keg/“cask”.  So a rare occasion that I have nothing in my fridge.   Here is what the plumbing looks like put together.   Note I have a double engine so everything is 2X in this photo but I hope you can see how I setup mine. I have a Sanyo fridge that I converted over so I don’t have much room

Offline mtevans

• Cellarman
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2024, 06:44:13 pm »
Thought I would share, here it is! First Esb brewed and served via beer engine, absolutely loving it and can’t wait to brew up a porter for it next!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2024, 07:07:48 pm »
Very nice!

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2024, 07:05:14 pm »
Thought I would share, here it is! First Esb brewed and served via beer engine, absolutely loving it and can’t wait to brew up a porter for it next!

Very nice.   If you thought home brewing was an addictive.   Brewing cellaring and serving cask beer just amplified it

Offline mtevans

• Cellarman
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2024, 07:56:07 pm »

Very nice.   If you thought home brewing was an addictive.   Brewing cellaring and serving cask beer just amplified it

I would agree there it adds so much more pleasure, and I throughly enjoyed it before this is just a little extra enjoyment through the finish of the beer!