Author Topic: Bottling and over-carbonation over time, using calculator for style  (Read 261 times)

Offline rburrelli

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
"IPA that I brewed on 10/17/17 and bottled on 10/29/17"

Do you normally bottle that quickly?
Just sitting here learning what I can....

Offline Uvolnit

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Check the specific gravity of one of the over carbonated beers.  Compare it to the SG when it was bottled.

Interesting idea.  I'll do so with one of the Winter Warmer's here in the next few days and will report my findings.
"IPA that I brewed on 10/17/17 and bottled on 10/29/17"

Do you normally bottle that quickly?

No.  I'm not sure why I did so but from my knowledge that's long enough.  I think I wanted to try and brew it quickly because it's possible, and also to try and keep the hop aromatics fresh tasting.  It would have been nice if I cold crashed it but it turned out quite hazy, which isn't a bad thing.  Also, I did check to make sure the fermentation was done in primary before racking to secondary.  I've been using yeast starters which start to vigorously ferment within about 8 hours so I think that cuts out a few days over using a single yeast packet.
My standard fermentation time is primary for at least 10 days if not longer (as long as fermentation is complete), then secondary for 1 week if dry hopping or multiple weeks if an age-able beer.