Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 12/23 Edition  (Read 10185 times)

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 12/23 Edition
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 02:54:16 pm »
No brewing this weekend, going to the inlaws (with beer of course). Will probably brew over New Year's weekend with a friend who wants to check out all grain.

I don't know if I want the wife in the brewing area Drew. She'd probably be following me around picking up after me,  cleaning stuff, and putting things away. On second thoght, maybe it's not such a bad idea....

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 04:46:22 pm »
No brewing for me, I'll be in Portland.  Again.  I know it's an awesome place, but sometimes I get sick of the slog.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 04:56:19 pm »
Next week off. Hopefully 3 brews. AB clone, THA, an all Galaxy AIPA.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 05:14:02 pm »
I was going to brew Monday with my brother in law, visiting from N.C., but then I found out that he is no longer drinking due to liver problems, so I don't want to tease him too much. 
I could still brew something Saturday or even Christmas day.  Perhaps a Rye IPA, half with Belgian yeast….
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 06:13:06 pm »
I'm off work until Jan.4th, so tomorrow it'll be a Vanilla Porter and on New Year's Day I plan on either an American Barley Wine or IIPA (still undecided).
Dan Chisholm

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 06:35:27 pm »
I'm brewing a porter inspired by Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald on Boxing Day.

I just made my first starter using canned wort and I loved it.Took maybe 10 minutes to sanitize everything, make the starter and clean up.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 07:34:51 pm »
I just made my first starter using canned wort and I loved it.Took maybe 10 minutes to sanitize everything, make the starter and clean up.

Pressure canned wort for starters is da bomb !!  I've got quarts, pints, quarter-pints, and 10ml vials all ready to go at a moments notice.
Joe

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 08:45:16 pm »
Going to try to squeeze in my first mead sometime over the weekend.  Just going with a simple orange blossom honey with 71B-1122.  Also need to rack a bopils to the keg and do some keg cleaning. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 10:46:16 am »
I plan on brewing Monday, Ken's Home Run Red Lager, pitched onto the yeast cake from ... Ken's Hacienda Lager. Both sounded good so I decided to do both of them back to back. Been awhile since I've done a lager.
Cheers and Merry Christmas to all!
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 01:42:07 pm »

Pressure canned wort for starters is da bomb !!  I've got quarts, pints, quarter-pints, and 10ml vials all ready to go at a moments notice.

Whaaa???? Where can I get this stuff?

And American IPA using Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade and Centennial equal parts of each added every 5 minutes of boil Friday and Brown Porter next Friday.  happy brewing and holidays all!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 01:47:33 pm »

And American IPA using Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade and Centennial equal parts of each added every 5 minutes of boil Friday and Brown Porter next Friday.  happy brewing and holidays all!

gotta make it yourself. next time you brew, after you run off your pre boil volume either keep going or add more water and keep going (depending on fly or batch sparge) into another container. put in a variety of sizes of canning jars. processing in pressure canner at 15psi for ~15-20 minutes. Place in cupboard and roberts your mothers brother.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline brontotex

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 05:07:19 pm »
Red Zeppelin - India Red Ale, tomorrow.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2011, 08:15:45 am »
Next week off. Hopefully 3 brews. AB clone, THA, an all Galaxy AIPA.
You're gonna like those Galaxy hops.  There's a brewery in Decorah, Iowa called Toppling Goliath that has an all Galaxy hopped IPA, it's deeeelicious.
Jesse

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2011, 11:39:43 am »

gotta make it yourself. next time you brew, after you run off your pre boil volume either keep going or add more water and keep going (depending on fly or batch sparge) into another container. put in a variety of sizes of canning jars. processing in pressure canner at 15psi for ~15-20 minutes. Place in cupboard and roberts your mothers brother.
I did a small mash for mine, something like 2.5#s of 2 row to yield 7 quarts, which is the capacity of my canner. You have to pressure can to be sure of killing any bad critters.
Some guy you might have seen post here has a good guide to the process:
http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/starter-made-easy-pressure-cooking-your-starter-wort-ahead-time
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2011, 03:04:03 pm »
I did take Tuesday afternoon off and brewed a nice bock.  Third pitch on a Staropramen yeast cake.