Author Topic: Secondary yes or no  (Read 3271 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Secondary yes or no
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 07:43:59 AM »
No secondary is fine if you don't want to save your yeast and DH. Yes, you can DH in the keg, but that's messy. You can also DH in the primary, but even with bags, some will still get into your yeast. Guess that's not a big thing either if you wash it.

Edit: I should add that I don't use a secondary all that much, because about the only beers I DH are larger beers and I don't save the yeast from those anyway.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:02:17 AM by bo »

Offline gigatropolis

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 09:17:57 AM »
I use a secondary because it is part of my bottling process and lets me be lazy without worry. Once in the better bottle, you can get a carboy cab with a center hole for the racking cane and attach the bottling wand with a hose to the other end. Blow on the other tube to start the flow and you can bottle by yourself stress free. I found this to be the best way to bottle after lot's of trial and error.

Also with the secondary I tend to DH often, which I think makes a better beer in many cases (and I like to DH anyway). You cam also park it there without worry because the beer will be just fine for as long as the laziness is there :)

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • View Profile
    • ALES Club
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 10:08:59 AM »
Yes, you can DH in the keg, but that's messy.

I find it is the least messy and produces the best results.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 10:10:07 AM »

Same here.  Dry hops go into a bag.  Easy to put in the keg, easy to remove...not messy at all.  And a far fresher hop aroma than dry hopping in a secondary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • View Profile
    • ALES Club
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 10:18:08 AM »
I use a secondary because it is part of my bottling process and lets me be lazy without worry.

Not trying to beat this thing to death, but I really don't understand this line of reasoning.  Yeah, I get that some people are busy or just plain lazy, and sure your beer may still seem "fine," but I am trying to make the best beer possible; leaving a beer in secondary or primary for an extended period does not contribute to this.  I suppose you could make a bit of a case for the benefits of bulk aging, but in my opinion, the potential exposure to oxygen in a non-pressurized primary or secondary is not worth the potential benefit of bulk aging.

Regardless of whether you have kegs or not, you want to ferment, clear and package your beer in a reasonable amount of time; procrastinating for the sake of procrastinating, just like transferring for the sake of transferring, will not improve the finished product.

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 10:28:44 AM »

Same here.  Dry hops go into a bag.  Easy to put in the keg, easy to remove...not messy at all.  And a far fresher hop aroma than dry hopping in a secondary.

Another vote for dry hopping in the keg. I get the best results from them in the keg, but if you're bottling then I recommend dry hopping in the primary.
Ron Price

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 10:34:08 AM »
I tried DHing in the keg and the bag sank and clogged my dip tube. I then tried tying it up and while that helped, I never had a glass of beer with out some hop particles floating around in it.

I'll stick with primary hopping big beers and secondary hopping for lighter ones.

Offline morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 10:37:30 AM »
I tried DHing in the keg and the bag sank and clogged my dip tube. I then tried tying it up and while that helped, I never had a glass of beer with out some hop particles floating around in it.

I'll stick with primary hopping big beers and secondary hopping for lighter ones.

Too each their own but I have never had a problem with floaters in a keg hopped beer using a hop sack. I use little cotton hop bags and pellets and just toss it in there. Don't bother weighing it down or anything. My only problem is by that time the beer is going fairly quickly so I don't get a ton of hop presence until the last .25 keg.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 10:43:02 AM »
I never had a glass of beer with out some hop particles floating around in it.

You say that like it's a bad thing....;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 10:57:51 AM »
I never had a glass of beer with out some hop particles floating around in it.

You say that like it's a bad thing....;)

No, not really a bad thing, but non-brewers would think I was using dirty glasses. Of course, this may have slowed down their drinking, so maybe it's not a bad thing after all.  ;D

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 11:50:53 AM »

+1...no muss, no fuss.
I don't use a bag, but use whole hops for dry hopping in the keg and have SureScreens installed on the pickup tubes.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 01:34:33 PM »
+1...no muss, no fuss.
I don't use a bag, but use whole hops for dry hopping in the keg and have SureScreens installed on the pickup tubes.

I tried that, but the hops clogged the SureScreen.  Wonder why?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 01:40:09 PM »
I use a secondary because it is part of my bottling process and lets me be lazy without worry. Once in the better bottle, you can get a carboy cab with a center hole for the racking cane and attach the bottling wand with a hose to the other end. Blow on the other tube to start the flow and you can bottle by yourself stress free. I found this to be the best way to bottle after lot's of trial and error.

Also with the secondary I tend to DH often, which I think makes a better beer in many cases (and I like to DH anyway). You cam also park it there without worry because the beer will be just fine for as long as the laziness is there :)

But if you leave it alone after racking to the BB does't all the priming sugar get used up? or do you use carb drops? I rack to a bottling bucket with a spigot and have no problem bottling by myself.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2011, 07:49:16 PM »
So I just checked my stout (first batch in many years) it had 0 Krausen just looked like a bucket of beer. I took a gravity reading andit was 1.022 it started at 1.062. It has had a pretty consistent temp of 69 degrees. It got down to 53 yesterday because my coworker turned the heat down to far. Somebody tell me it is going to go further without any more yeast. Or do I need to pitch again. It has been in the bucket for 6 days. I should just wait for two more weeks is my guess. I don't need to worry right?

Online tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 08:15:03 PM »
The beer or the room got down to 53F?  Warm it back up and rouse the yeast by gently swirling the bucket around a bit. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Fermenting: Wit
On Tap: Lucifer's Hammer Golden Strong Ale, Dopplebock, Old Fuzzynut's Ale