Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling and starsan.  (Read 13638 times)

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
Bottling and starsan.
« on: January 08, 2012, 12:25:35 pm »
So the last time I bottled I soaked my bottles in starsan.
When I drained them of the starsan they left bubbles and foam so when I was dumping the beer in I let it overflow I little to push out the residue.
Is it alright to have a little starsan left in the bottle? Or should I do something different?
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Bottling and starsan.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 12:28:17 pm »
Perfectly fine.  Don't fear the foam!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:30:49 pm »
That's what I thought. For kicks and giggles I tasted it and It just felt slimy no taste. I was jut wondering if there were any chemical reactions or anything.
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 12:39:47 pm »
That's what I thought. For kicks and giggles I tasted it and It just felt slimy no taste. I was jut wondering if there were any chemical reactions or anything.

I have heard people from Five Star say that the residue from Starsan actually acts as a yeast nutrient.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 08:19:02 pm »
No worries with StarSan's foam.  I'm not wild about it either, but I try to sanitize far enough in advance that the foam dies down and the remaining fluid can be dumped out before proceeding with bottling.
Using it to sanitize bottles quickly isn't ideal since pouring StarSan into and back out of bunch of bottles a few minutes later just tends to make a lot of foam (and hassle).  I still use StarSan for brew day (sanitizing the fermenter buckets) and kegging day, but not for bottling.

I switched to One Step for bottling--so much easier (no foaming).

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 09:58:24 pm »
5-star also makes SaniClean, which is a low foam acid sanitizer. But I never fear the foam anyway and haven't tried it.

It is an acid sanitizer, the sanitizing ability is linked to the pH of the solution so once diluted it is harmless.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 11:50:53 pm »
I like starsan for just about any sanitizing needs and don't worry about residue or foam. If you got a "sanitize" feature in a dishwasher that works out well- just rinse out the bottles real good and run them through a rinse/sanitize cycle. Then I rack over the dishwasher with the door open. No mess...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 06:39:43 am »
In my experience i usually see the foam evaporate pretty quickly from inside the bottle.  A quick turn upside down just before filling and it gets out most of the residue.  What's left i don't worry about.  Foam is good.  I also learned yesterday that my swamp cooler can double as a sanitization trough lol.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline drmario47

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 04:50:57 pm »
No problem I do that all the time. Star san is great stuff and Im never afraid if it gets into my beer.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 06:59:56 am »
When I fill with a racking cane/picnic tap, I fill until beer reaches the very top (or even slightly over flows) and then remove the cane leaving a small head space.  During this, any star-san foam seems to float out of the bottle on the beer anyway.