Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation temp control idea  (Read 2477 times)

Offline robb

• 1st Kit
Fermentation temp control idea
« on: December 21, 2011, 08:55:28 pm »
I’m looking at some options to upgrade my brewing system to control fermentation temperature (besides the typical freezer/ref with thermostat).   Would it be possible to add a stainless steel heat exchanger directly in the fermenting beer and pump chilled/ice water through it and have the pump controlled by a thermostat?  Or is this a crazy idea?  Thanks in advance. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Fermentation temp control idea
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 09:25:17 pm »
That isn't crazy but usually people wrap the chiller around the fermenter and then insulate over that. Then you don't have to mess with cleaning the coils. Just the fermenter.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 10:07:59 pm »
I'd also wrap the coils around the outside. You could put the fermenter and coils in a water bath to jacket the fermenter with proper temp water. I think there is a pimp my system post similar to this using a rubbermaid cooler and chiller. Actually, you probably don't really need the coils. Just pump the cold water into the batch.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 03:11:02 am »
What a cool idea!
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 06:37:21 am »
You can wrap the coils around the outside, but it will slow down the cooling time tremendously. If you bond them to the sides of the fermenter, IE solder, welding, etc, that will help, but you still lose the great heat exchange rate you can get with immersion.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 07:22:50 am »
Joe

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 01:46:02 pm »
Has anybody have a picture of these setting? is interesting!
Al Equihua

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 01:51:37 pm »
You can wrap the coils around the outside, but it will slow down the cooling time tremendously. If you bond them to the sides of the fermenter, IE solder, welding, etc, that will help, but you still lose the great heat exchange rate you can get with immersion.

i agree however

i don't think in this case he is talking about cooling wort, i think it is more about maintaining the cooled temp during ferment.

i think an immersion system would probably be fundamentally easier despite the cleaning issue just in terms of fabrication, flexibility etc.
Don AHA member