Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wild bugs & pH probe?  (Read 1762 times)

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
  • Mill Creek Brewery, Temptation Rd
Wild bugs & pH probe?
« on: December 23, 2011, 09:54:21 am »
I'm a wild brew light weight, but I'm realizing I'm brewing more and more of them. My
question is do the brewers who manage their pH, have a wild bug dedicated pH probe?
Given the contact time and then I Starsan it; what are the risk? I cleaned and
recalibrated the probe after the Starsan routine. Will the bugs persevere?
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Wild bugs & pH probe?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 11:32:36 am »
You shouldn't test the whole batch post-boil. Always draw a sample and test that. Do the same for the mash and let it cool first.

My last probe was infected with something and I soaked it and the cap in Everclear for a few minutes. Seemed to help a great deal.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
  • Mill Creek Brewery, Temptation Rd
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 11:50:45 am »
You shouldn't test the whole batch post-boil. Always draw a sample and test that. Do the same for the mash and let it cool first.

From what part of my question did you glean I test the pH hot? I made an aluminum and copper sample chiller and test at 21 c, since my pH meter has a temp prob. I do like the Everclear idea; my probe will be getting the acid alcohol treatment next time.
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 11:57:16 am »
 ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

narvin

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 12:31:29 pm »
Whether you're testing gravity, pH, or something else, I would throw out (i.e. throw down your throat) samples instead of putting them back in your fermenter.  This prevents contamination.