Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White Castles and Beer  (Read 7548 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: White Castles and Beer
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 12:02:10 pm »
It's a dinner roll with a little meat and some chopped onions. Nothing to go out of the way for, in my opinion.

Ive wondered about that. Looks like they quarter a hamburger patty and divide it between 4 little greasy sandwiches. Then charge more. Might be a reason why they aren't sold around here in the land of the taco.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 03:15:56 pm »
It's a dinner roll with a little meat and some chopped onions.

yeah and beer is just water with alcohol in it...
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 04:03:29 pm »
It's a dinner roll with a little meat and some chopped onions.

yeah and beer is just water, grain, and hops with alcohol in it...

Fixed it.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 09:30:33 pm »
Around cattle ranches "sliders" are not hamburgers.  Perhaps that's where WC gut bombs got their nickname from.  ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 05:48:59 am »
I had some years ago, but quite honestly don't see the reason that people just love them. It's a dinner roll with a little meat and some chopped onions. Nothing to go out of the way for, in my opinion. I'd order a $1 double cheese burger from McDonald's before I would any of these. I don't even think a beer, and definitely not a glass of wine, would help much.

You must have had them during a sober moment.  Nothing better than a sack of Cheese Assassins at 3 AM.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 04:07:34 pm »
I too don't see how wine fits into the slider phenomenon.

At my house we have Lennie burgers, they are a slightly flattened 1lb grilled meatball on a bun.  They are the antithesis of WC, but each has its place.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2011, 05:17:56 am »
The Environmental Protection Agency in 1991 obtained a restraining order for life against me, prohibiting me from coming within 100 feet of a White Castle.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2011, 10:47:04 am »

There's a local place here, near Rutgers University, called White Rose System...an old school  diner-like place that has been there for more than 70 years from what I'm told (and it hasn't changed one bit at least in the last 40 or 50 years!).   

"The System", as the place is known locally,  always appeared to be staffed by an ever changing rotation of ex-convicts.    The place is, to this day, always busy day and night filled with people jonesing for their grease fix.  Don't take that as a negative...thier buregers are quite good.
They make a cheap, unpretentious,  but delicious burger that definitely beats out places like 5 Guys, Red Robin, and other burger specialty chains that seem to be popping up like weeds these days.

"The System" uses the old concept of putting a meatball (around 3 ounces) onto the grill which is covered with a bed of onions, and squashed down flat when it hits the grill (which is evidently  how White Castle originally did it back in the 1920's).   Besides the burgers, their pork roll-egg-cheese sandwiches are legendary (and as "New Jersey" as it gets).

Part of my college career was spent at Rutgers, and I can remember (in a hazy sort of way) many 3am visits to "The System" 37 years ago  chowing down on their food as a 'sobering up' aid.  Those little heart attacks (served on a paper plate) seemed to have magical properties.  LOL.
 ;D
..Good times...(insert belch here)
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2011, 10:58:11 am »
I had some years ago, but quite honestly don't see the reason that people just love them. It's a dinner roll with a little meat and some chopped onions. Nothing to go out of the way for, in my opinion. I'd order a $1 double cheese burger from McDonald's before I would any of these. I don't even think a beer, and definitely not a glass of wine, would help much.

You must have had them during a sober moment.  Nothing better than a sack of Cheese Assassins at 3 AM.

Actually there's one thing that is at least equally as good, but it's a local thing from Cincinnati.  Cheese coneys really hit a spot after the bars close down.  This is a small hot dog, the bun slathered with a bit of yellow mustard, topped with thin Cincinnati chili and covered with a small mountain of shredded cheddar cheese.  Three is the correct amount.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2011, 11:04:31 am »
Actually there's one thing that is at least equally as good, but it's a local thing from Cincinnati.  Cheese coneys really hit a spot after the bars close down.  This is a small hot dog, the bun slathered with a bit of yellow mustard, topped with thin Cincinnati chili and covered with a small mountain of shredded cheddar cheese.  Three is the correct amount.
What, no onion?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2011, 01:08:23 pm »
Yes, you can get onions, And they are called skyliners to be gotten at Skyline Chili.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2011, 09:03:10 pm »
What, no onion?

I don't know but onion sounds good on a coney.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 11:19:10 pm »
Sounds like the Greekers we used to eat in college - definitely with onions.

Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2011, 05:12:24 am »
Much more cheese.
http://www.skylinechili.com/signature.php
Oh, and onions are part of the charm.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 09:20:28 am »

There's a local place here, near Rutgers University, called White Rose System...an old school  diner-like place that has been there for more than 70 years from what I'm told (and it hasn't changed one bit at least in the last 40 or 50 years!).   

"The System", as the place is known locally,  always appeared to be staffed by an ever changing rotation of ex-convicts.    The place is, to this day, always busy day and night filled with people jonesing for their grease fix.  Don't take that as a negative...thier buregers are quite good.
They make a cheap, unpretentious,  but delicious burger that definitely beats out places like 5 Guys, Red Robin, and other burger specialty chains that seem to be popping up like weeds these days.

"The System" uses the old concept of putting a meatball (around 3 ounces) onto the grill which is covered with a bed of onions, and squashed down flat when it hits the grill (which is evidently  how White Castle originally did it back in the 1920's).   Besides the burgers, their pork roll-egg-cheese sandwiches are legendary (and as "New Jersey" as it gets).

Part of my college career was spent at Rutgers, and I can remember (in a hazy sort of way) many 3am visits to "The System" 37 years ago  chowing down on their food as a 'sobering up' aid.  Those little heart attacks (served on a paper plate) seemed to have magical properties.  LOL.
 ;D
..Good times...(insert belch here)

Al,  Where's the one in New Brunswick?  I just know of the White Rose in Linden.

We had the White Diamond in Clark &  Westfield.  Same concept, some toothless Southern cook saying "Y'all want 'taters wit dem eggs?"
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC