Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I HATE dentists.  (Read 8756 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: I HATE dentists.
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 03:12:43 pm »
  Needless to say, it's made me a big proponent of flouridated water.

As big a proponent as batch sparging?  ???

Damn close!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 03:17:33 pm »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 07:14:37 pm »
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 06:23:25 am »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 11:13:54 am »
I grew up in a small town in IA where flouride was added to the water.  At one point, I went 30 years without seeing a dentist.  When I went to him, he was astounded that I had no cavities or other problems.  And it's pretty much stayed that way.  At one point, he suggested having my wisdom teeth removed, then said that I had such great bone mass it would be more trouble than it was worth.  Needless to say, it's made me a big proponent of flouridated water.

I believe a lot of it is genetics. My oldest son has never had a cavity and my youngest has had several. My wife has only ever had one or maybe two cavities and I have had several. Both my kids have the same brushing and flossing habits. My wife was a lax flosser and I have always been hard core. And the water in my faucet growing up had flouride added to it as does the water coming from my faucet now.

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 02:44:06 pm »
Dentists are like car  mechanics, you pay alittle now or a lot later.

You can have a nice running vehicle (good smile) or have a crappy running vehicle(missing/rotten teeth).

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 07:08:57 pm »
Dentists are like car  mechanics, you pay alittle now or a lot later.

YEAH BOY!!!!!
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 08:47:37 pm »
Holy s***!  :o

I would keep my mouth shut if I were him.
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 08:17:18 pm »
But then how would you know it's him?
Read the teeF - it's Flavor Flav !!!!!
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline dirtyjerzey

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 08:55:41 am »
I hate going to the dentist just as much as anyone else, but it's worth it in the end......I held out for 2 years, and my first time back they had a field day!  Now I actually go for extra cleanings, just to prevent bigger problems from happening.....it also helps when your dentist likes to employ good looking hygienists!   ;D ;D ;D

"Life's short and hard, like a body building elf..." - BHG

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 11:26:09 am »
Damn Cap beat me to the General Ripper scene!

Have that entire movie committed to memory.   ;D

Offline chauncey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 08:28:11 pm »
I was gonna say - I don't like going to the dentist - but it sure beats a mouth full of false teeth!
It depends on your situation. My teeth (gums, actually) had deteriorated so badly that there was only one place in my mouth where I could chew -- along with constant pain. I had gum disease all my life and brushing my teeth only made it worse. So, in one sitting, I had 22 remaining teeth removed, and replaced with full dentures. My gum disease is history. I can eat anything in any place in my mouth. The yellow teeth I used to expose when smiling are now perfect, white, natural looking teeth. In retrospect, it was the best thing I ever did. Plus, my general health from ridding my body of all that infection has increased amazingly – gum disease promotes heart disease. OK – would I rather have a mouth full of my own healthy teeth – of course I would, but the option I chose in my circumstances literally changed my life for the better.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 08:38:26 pm »
I was gonna say - I don't like going to the dentist - but it sure beats a mouth full of false teeth!
It depends on your situation. My teeth (gums, actually) had deteriorated so badly that there was only one place in my mouth where I could chew -- along with constant pain. I had gum disease all my life and brushing my teeth only made it worse. So, in one sitting, I had 22 remaining teeth removed, and replaced with full dentures. My gum disease is history. I can eat anything in any place in my mouth. The yellow teeth I used to expose when smiling are now perfect, white, natural looking teeth. In retrospect, it was the best thing I ever did. Plus, my general health from ridding my body of all that infection has increased amazingly – gum disease promotes heart disease. OK – would I rather have a mouth full of my own healthy teeth – of course I would, but the option I chose in my circumstances literally changed my life for the better.

Sometimes it's a real b**** getting old.  ;D

Do you think it was hereditary in your case.
Ron Price

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 10:52:45 pm »
Gum disease is a real b****!! I always thought my teeth were fine, no cavities or discoloration. One day I get a toothache, figure its a wisdom tooth, so I make an appointment. They take an x-ray, periodontal disease. I had to have full mouth surgery, bone graphs in between each tooth, at the cost of almost $14,000. I had to take a second mortgage, I am only 38 years old, now I go to the dentist every 4 months. Dentists may suck, but having no teeth would suck much more. In my case it is hereditary, the thing is I was sick from it for a long time and didn't even know it.

Offline chauncey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 12:06:34 am »
Do you think it was hereditary in your case.

Probably. While my mother died with perfect teeth -- never even a cavity -- my dad had bad teeth and gum disease. But I think there was more to it. I can remember -- even at a very young age -- having some "new" procedure done on my gums, so it started early and may have been a side affect of a childhood disease. I had a few that have caused other problems. I grew up in Detroit, and we had Fluoridated water. I brushed and flossed and used a water pick, but nothing seemed to help. Dentures -- like everything else -- have gone high-tech, and they really are a godsend for someone like me. Without them I would have to live on beer. Hmm, ...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:08:57 am by chauncey »